NOTE: The on-campus polling place for the April 7, 2020, Wisconsin spring election and presidential primary has been moved to Zorn Arena to allow for greater social distancing measures during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Exercising the right to vote is fundamental to the health of our representative democracy. Here is what UW-Eau Claire students need to know before voting in Wisconsin in the April 7, 2020, election:
Before you vote
You must register before voting at the polls.
- You can register online before election day if you have a valid, unexpired Wisconsin driver's license or Wisconsin state ID card.
- If you will be voting in Eau Claire, you also can register and vote before election day during the city's in-person absentee voting and registration period through April 3. A process is being used that allows for social distancing and keeps voters and poll workers safe. Learn more.
- If you haven't registered before election day, you can register at the polls when you go to vote (see "Where to vote" below to determine your voting location if you choose to be registered using your academic year address, whether on or off campus).
Students should remember to do the following before they can vote:
- Present proof of residency. Students registering to vote at the polls must present proof of residency (proof that you live at an address within the district or ward where you wish to vote). UW-Eau Claire students who wish to be registered using their academic year address, whether on or off campus, may download a voter verification form from MyBlugold CampS that provides proof of residency. See instructions for downloading the form.
- Present an acceptable photo ID card at the polls. Your UW-Eau Claire student ID (Blugold card) may or may not be an acceptable voter ID. If your Blugold card includes your signature AND you renew it every two years, it is acceptable as a photo ID. Other acceptable photo IDs include a Wisconsin driver's license, Wisconsin state ID card, military ID card or passport. If you do not have one of these, you can trade in your old Blugold card for one that is an acceptable voter ID at the Blugold Card office on the first floor of Davies Center. NOTE: You must have an acceptable government-issued ID with you when you trade in your old Blugold card.
Do your research
Look in advance at the races and any referendum questions that will appear on your ballot, and then do your own research so you can make informed choices on election day. To view your ballot ahead of time, enter your address on the My Vote Wisconsin website.
Where to vote
If you will be voting in Eau Claire during the April 2020 election, consider in-person absentee voting offered by the city of Eau Claire through April 3. The city has set up a voting process that allows for social distancing and keeps voters and poll workers safe. Learn more about city of Eau Claire in-person absentee voting.
UW-Eau Claire's Zorn Arena is the April 7, 2020, in-person voting site for Wards 20 and 24 of the city of Eau Claire:
- Students living in the upper campus residence halls reside in Ward 20.
- Students living in the lower campus residence halls reside in Ward 24.
Students living at their off-campus academic year address can check the My Vote Wisconsin website to determine their in-person polling location.