Skip to main content
Important COVID-19 updates   READ MORE »

UW-Eau Claire students encouraged to vote early

University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire students are encouraged to vote early in the Nov. 3 general election to reduce congestion and ensure physical distancing at polling sites.

Before you vote

You must register before voting. You can register online or by mail by Oct. 14, or in person at your municipal clerk’s office until Oct. 30. If you haven’t registered before Election Day, you may register at your polling place when you go to vote in person on Nov. 3. When registering to vote, students are reminded to bring an acceptable photo ID card and proof of residency in the ward where they wish to vote. Note that your acceptable photo id card does not need to include a local address. Learn which documents can be used as proof of residency.

Do your research

Voters can look at the races on their ballot and do research on the candidates. To see who is on your election ballot, go to the My Vote Wisconsin website.

Absentee voting

You can request an absentee ballot online by confirming your name and current address and choosing the election you’d like to vote in. You may need to upload a picture of your valid photo ID; using a smartphone can help. The ballot can be returned via mail or be dropped off in person before the election or on Election Day.

In-person voting

  • Zorn Arena is the in-person polling site for on-campus students and will be open from 7 a.m.-8 p.m. on Election Day. Students who live in upper-campus residence halls reside in Ward 20; students in lower-campus residence halls are in Ward 24.
  • Off-campus students are advised to check the My Vote Wisconsin website to determine their in-person polling site.

At the polls

  • Students must present an acceptable photo ID card at the polls. Acceptable IDs include a Wisconsin driver’s license, Wisconsin state ID card, military ID card or passport.
  • Your UW-Eau Claire ID (Blugold Card) may or may not be an acceptable voter ID. The card must include your signature and have an expiration date two years after the date of issuance. You may still use your Blugold Card if it has expired, but you must also bring a document proving your current enrollment at the university. Students may download a voter verification form from MyBlugold CampS that provides proof of enrollment and your current local address. This form also can be used as proof of residency when registering to vote. See instructions for downloading the form and note that your pop-up blocker must be disabled to load the document onto your Apple device.