Work has begun on the renovation of Towers Hall, the largest residence hall at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, as of Wednesday, Sept. 6.
The upper-campus, 10-story residence hall includes Towers North, which houses 711 students, and Towers South, which houses 630 students. Towers South will be the focus of the project during 2017-18 and will not be occupied by student residents during this academic year.
Miron Construction Co. is the general contractor for the project. Construction fencing installation is underway, and crews soon will begin clearing the site, setting up staging areas and partitioning off Towers South from Towers North, where students are living this academic year.
Exterior renovations and extensive interior remodeling are planned for the residence hall, which was built in 1966. The project will include:
- Replacement of exterior windows and doors.
- Repairs to exterior surfaces, including brick and precast panels.
- Addition of a new entrance.
- Replacement of aging heating and ventilation systems.
- Addition of air conditioning to both common areas and resident rooms.
- Replacement of aging plumbing.
- Renovation and expansion of first-floor and basement areas to improve common spaces such as study lounges, laundry and student gathering spaces.
- Refurbishment of two elevators in each tower.
- Expansion of bathrooms to comply with ADA access and improve resident privacy.
- Addition of new furnishings and carpet in student rooms.
Work on Towers South will be completed by fall 2018, in time for student move-in. Renovations of Towers North and the residence hall’s common spaces will begin in fall 2018 and be completed by fall 2019. Towers North will not be occupied by students during the 2018-19 academic year.
The Towers Hall renovation project cost of $35,969,000 will be paid for entirely with student housing fees.
Contact Mike Rindo, assistant chancellor for facilities and university relations, at 715-836-4742 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Quincy Chapman, UW-Eau Claire director of housing and residence life, at 715-836-3630 or email@example.com with questions regarding the Towers Hall renovation project.