Photo caption: Homecoming 2021 delivered a beautiful sunny October Saturday for the parade, football game and other campus events.
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire will celebrate Homecoming Oct. 3-9, a week full of events, gatherings and traditions. The Alumni Association, Foundation, Blugold Athletics and the University Activities Commission (UAC) invite students, faculty, staff, alumni and the greater Eau Claire community to celebrate these time-honored traditions.
“It’s such a special time with activities, gatherings and celebrations throughout the week,” says Jane Larson, coordinator of alumni engagement for the Alumni Association.
“If you haven’t been back to Eau Claire or campus for a while, please come tour the city, walk through campus, find a riverfront bench and take in the view. It’s a great time to reminisce about your days as a Blugold student and visit with old friends.”
Every year, students take much of the lead in planning Homecoming festivities, and the 2022-23 University Activities Commission and the Festivals Committee of Student Senate are excited to present a wide array of ways for students to show their Blugold spirit.
The UAC director is Brett Farmer, a third-year integrated strategic communication major from Antigo who has felt relieved finally to be planning large-scale events without major concerns about COVID-19.
“I’ve been working with our Festival Committee chairs and staff advisor Corey Stockman for months now,” Farmer says. “To be able to celebrate the most anticipated event week of the year without COVID so top of mind has been nice. We cannot wait to kick off the fun-filled week and see the whole campus filled with Blugold spirit.”
The Festival Committee co-chairs for 2022-23 are sophomore Graciana DeWan, a psychology major from Antigo, and senior Jack Stewart, an accounting major from Northbrook, Illinois.
Homecoming Week highlights for students
Here are some of the highlights of the week for students, with registration details for certain events found on the UAC Homecoming webpage.
- Sunday, Oct. 2: Window painting, Davies Marketplace at 3 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 3: Royalty campaigning and medallion hunt begin. Chancellor Kickoff event at noon on Davies Plaza; free Homecoming swag.
- Tuesday, Oct. 4: Blu’s fan art competition: Tag UAC in fan photos on Instagram.
- Wednesday, Oct. 5: Games on Campus Mall: Scooter races, water balloon toss, tug of war, 4 p.m. (Rain site: Zorn Arena).
- Wednesday, Oct. 5: Royalty voting begins via campus email survey.
- Thursday, Oct. 6: "Varsity Night Live," hosted by the Singing Statesmen. A variety show with singing, dancing, lip syncing and more. Announcement of Homecoming Royalty, 7 p.m., Schofield Auditorium. Purchase tickets here; $3 for students now, $5 at the door.
- Friday, Oct. 7: Homecoming food handout, Davies Plaza, 10 a.m. Free apple cider and cookies.
- Saturday, Oct. 8: Parade, 10 a.m. West Lake Street and First Avenue; Tailgating: 11 a.m., Carson Park; Football game: UWEC vs. UW-Whitewater, Carson Park, 1:10 p.m., free with Blugold ID.
- Sunday, Oct. 17: Adopt-a-Block Cleanup, 1 p.m. Students gather at the Water Street lot to assist in citywide cleanup of post-Homecoming events. Groups participating in the spirit competition must complete the form in advance.
Events for Blugold alumni and friends
In addition to the "Varsity Night Live" show, parade and game listed above, the Alumni Association invites Blugold alumni and friends to the following events:
- Saturday, Oct. 8: Blugold Fever Fest, 11 a.m., Carson Park parking lot; food trucks onsite; and Blugold Marching Band will play prior to the game.
- Sunday, Oct. 9: Fall Alumni Awards, 11 a.m., Flesch Family Welcome Center. View recipients and register.
The community is invited to campus and to Carson Park to take in the variety of fun-filled events aimed at celebrating what it means to be a Blugold of any age. If you have questions about alumni events, please contact the Alumni Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.