The Chippewa River footbridge at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire will close for the summer beginning May 22.
The planned closure is for construction work on the bridge's south end that is part of the university's ongoing Garfield Avenue redevelopment project. The footbridge will reopen in time for the start of fall semester classes.
Due to the footbridge closure, changes to student, faculty and staff parking in the university's Hibbard, Human Sciences and Services (HSS) and Water Street lots will take effect May 22. Additional parking changes involving the Phillips lot will take effect during new student orientation in June.
Summer campus parking changes are as follows:
- May 22 — Parking stalls previously reserved only for “F” or “S” permit holders in the Human Sciences and Services (HSS), Water Street, and Hibbard lots will be open to both “F” and “S” permit holders. ADA-accessible parking and stalls for “G” permit holders will remain unchanged.
- June 12 — New student orientation begins, with the Phillips lot as the designated parking area for admitted students and their families. Therefore, during orientation the Phillips lot will not be available to current students, faculty and staff with “S” and “F” permits. (ADA-accessible parking and stalls for “G” permit holders in the Phillips lot will remain unchanged during orientation.)
- June 26 — Fifty stalls for use by “F” and “S” parking permit holders will again become available in the Phillips lot.
- July 3 — An additional 185 stalls for use by “F” and “S” parking permit holders will again become available in the Phillips lot.
- Aug. 28 — The campus footbridge reopens, and parking in the Phillips and Hibbard lots will return to the configurations from the spring 2017 semester. Stalls in the HSS and Water Street lots will remain available to both “F” and “S” permit holders (with ADA-accessible parking remaining unchanged).
Individuals who have both an ADA-accessible parking permit or license plates and a valid UW-Eau Claire parking permit may park in any "F", "S" or "R" space, reserved disabled space or any two- or three-hour metered space on campus.
Lower campus shuttle service
Because the university footbridge is a direct route for students, faculty and staff between the north and south sides of lower campus, during the footbridge closure an early morning and late afternoon shuttle service will be available with stops at the university’s Water Street and HSS parking lots and Centennial Hall. The shuttle service will be available May 22 through June 30, and will run from 7-9 a.m. and 3-5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Additional student/faculty/staff parking options
Students, faculty or staff wishing to purchase parking permits over the summer may want to consider the available alternatives to annual “S” or “F” permits. Daily “S” and “F” permits for $5, as well as 30-day “S” and “F” permits for $29.00, also are available.
Students, faculty and staff with “S” and “F” permits are reminded that they may park in “R” spaces on upper campus when designated “S” and “F” stalls on lower and upper campus are full.
For more information
Find more information on the Parking and Transportation website and by calling Blugold Central at 715-836-3000.