University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire students will receive awards and scholarships at the university's 42nd annual Viennese Ball, to be held April 8-9.
Proceeds from the two-night event and donations to the Viennese Ball support awards and global study opportunities for UW-Eau Claire students. Awards recognize academic excellence, service to the music and theatre arts department and service to the Viennese Ball through employment in Davies Student Center.
The Wilhelm and Ingrid Brauner Award, named to honor the Austrian trade commissioner who helped develop the Viennese Ball, recognizes outstanding academic achievement and service to UW-Eau Claire. The following students will receive the Brauner Award:
- Anna Biel, a German major from Beaver Dam, is the daughter of Michael and Sabina Biel. Her host family members are Alfred, Carola and Annika Nürnberger.
- Michael Landorf, a business finance major from Eau Claire, is the son of Kevin and Melissa Landorf.
The following students will receive Viennese Ball Senior Music Awards, awarded for talent, academic achievement and contributions to the music and theatre arts department:
- Garrett Aalfs, a music education major from Waconia, Minnesota, will perform with the Trombone Ensemble and the University Symphony Orchestra at this year's Viennese Ball. His parents are Mike and Molly Aalfs.
- Adam Accola, a music major from Mondovi, will perform with The Singing Statesmen and Impromptu. His parents are Kevin and Kim Accola.
- Rachel Burtman, music education major from Eau Claire, will perform with the University Symphony Orchestra. She is the daughter of Norah Airth-Kindree.
- Gina Cruciani is a music major from Eau Claire. Her parents are Tim and Lori Cruciani.
- Camila Mennitte Pereyra is a music major from Cordoba, Argentina, who will perform with Jazz Ensemble I and a jazz combo at this year's Viennese Ball. Her parents are Erica Pereyra and Diego Mennitte. Her host family members are Steve and Siri Zenz, and Ron and Mary Keezer.
- Leah Reber is a music and business administration major from Rosemount, Minnesota, who will perform with the University Symphony Orchestra and Jazz I Ensemble at this year’s Viennese Ball. Her parents are Mark and Paula Reber.
- Nathan Cicero was chosen to receive the Ada Bors Music Service Award, which recognizes outstanding service to the music and theatre arts department. The award is named to honor the originator and coordinator of the annual Viennese Ball through its silver anniversary year. Nathan is a music major from Sauk City. He will perform in the Bosendorfer Piano Salon. His parents are Peter and Ann Cicero.
- Alex Munger, a music major from New Berlin, will receive the Noble Statesmen Award for outstanding music leadership to the ensemble and contribution to the music and theatre arts department. Alex will perform with the Singing Statesmen at this year's Viennese Ball. He is the son of Robin and Sheryl Munger.
The Viennese Ball also supports division awards each year. The following students will receive Karen G. Stuber Service Awards, which recognize outstanding service to the Viennese Ball. This award is named in honor of Karen Stuber for her 42 years of dedicated service to this event.
- Rebekah Anderson, from Eau Claire an art education major. She works in Printing Services and worked in the Activities Involvement and Leadership Office in Davies Center. She is the daughter of Jay and Andrea Anderson.
- Morgan Goldammer, from Hartford, is a kinesiology major. She is the manager for the Event Services Usher Corps in Davies Center and is the daughter of Guy and Judi Goldammer.
- Marissa Leners, from Birchwood, is a student building manager for Davies Center and is an information systems major. She is the daughter of Ken and Kathy Leners.
- Cherie Minske, from Northfield, Minnesota, is a student building manager and was a member of the event production crew in Davies Center. She is a marketing major. She is the daughter of Brad and Diane Minske.
- Robin Swanson, from Washington Island, is an international business and Spanish major. She works for Sodexo Food Service in Davies Center and is the daughter of Paul and Maggie Swanson.