Photo caption: The Homecoming Blugold football game against UW-River Falls will be a 1 p.m. kickoff at Carson Park. Don't miss the game or the amazing Blugold Marching Band.
Homecoming is back at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, set for the week of Oct. 10-17, and ready to make up for some lost time.
UW-Eau Claire will celebrate all things Blugold with the traditions of Homecoming and with observance of necessary safety precautions. The Alumni Association, Foundation, Blugold Athletics and the University Activities Commission (UAC) invite the campus, alumni and the greater Eau Claire community to celebrate these time-honored traditions.
“We are greatly looking forward to all the excitement that Homecoming brings to UW-Eau Claire — after the last year, it’s exactly what we need,” says Jane Larson, coordinator of alumni engagement for the Alumni Association.
Students on the UAC and festivals committee have worked hard to carefully plan all events to be safe and in accordance with campus pandemic protocols. According to Joann Martin, student activities coordinator for the Activities, Involvement and Leadership office, anticipation and excitement levels are high for all students.
“We are thrilled to see the return of our traditional Homecoming events and are also thankful that vaccine rates reached the desired goal, making the planning even more successful, not just for Homecoming but for all events we coordinate,” Martin says.
“We are especially pleased to invite a wonderful headlining act to Varsity Night Live, Minneapolis-based comedian Tommy Ryman,” she says. “He was a semifinalist on season 8 of the NBC show 'Last Comic Standing' and continues to top the list of young comics in the Midwest.”
With current campus masking and physical distancing guidelines for indoor and outdoor events on the schedule, the lineup of events for the week are as follows:
Homecoming Week activities for students
Here are some of the highlights of the week for students, with registration details for certain events found on the UAC Homecoming webpage.
- Sunday, Oct. 10: Window painting, Davies Marketplace at noon.
- Monday, Oct. 11: Royalty campaigning and medallion hunt begin.
- Tuesday, Oct. 12: Blu’s fan art competition: Tag UAC in fan photos on Instagram.
- Wednesday, Oct. 13: Games on campus mall. Scooter races, water balloon toss, tug of war, 4 p.m. (rain site: Ojibwe Ballroom, Davies Center).
- Thursday, Oct. 14: Royalty voting begins, via campus email survey.
- Friday, Oct. 15: Varsity Night Live, announcement of Homecoming Royalty, 7 p.m., Zorn Arena.
- Women’s volleyball, UWEC vs. UW-LaCrosse, McPhee Physical Education Center, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 16: Parade, 10 a.m. W. Grand Avenue and First Avenue.
- Football game, UWEC vs. UW-River Falls, Carson Park, 1 p.m., free with Blugold ID.
- Women’s volleyball, UWEC vs. Finlandia University, McPhee Physical Education Center, 11 a.m.
- Men’s & Women’s swimming and diving, UWEC vs. UW-Oshkosh, McPhee Physical Education Center, 1 p.m.
- Men’s soccer, UWEC vs. UW-Whitewater, Simpson Field, 1 p.m.
- Sunday, Oct. 17: Adopt-a-Block Cleanup, 1 p.m. Water Street parking lot.
Events for Blugold alumni and friends
In addition to the parade and athletics listed above, the Alumni Association invites Blugold alumni and friends to the following events:
- Friday, Oct. 15: Flesch Family Welcome Center Dedication, 2 p.m.; Building dedication and open house of the newest building on campus.
- Friday, Oct. 15: Greek Alumni Mixer, 7- 10:30 p.m., The Cabin, Davies Center.
- Saturday, Oct. 16: Alumni Tailgate Party, 11 a.m., Carson Park parking lot, Blugold Marching Band will play prior to the game.
The community is invited to campus and to Carson Park to take in the variety of fun-filled events aimed at celebrating what it means to be a Blugold of any age. If you have questions about alumni events, please contact the Alumni Association at email@example.com.