UW-Eau Claire will host the fifth annual Frederick and Joan Christopherson Schmidt Robert Frost Celebration of American Poetry at 4 p.m. Monday, April 23, in the Lantern space on the third floor of Centennial Hall on the university’s lower campus.
Several poems by Frost will be among those featured during the event; a reception will follow.
The poetry event, which is free and open to the public, celebrates National Poetry Month along with the university's Frederick G. and Joan Christopherson Schmidt Robert Frost Collection, which was acquired in 2013 by the UW-Eau Claire Foundation. The collection contains more than 40 books authored by Frost, including several that have been signed and inscribed by the poet, dozens of books about Frost, and manuscript materials containing hand-written poetry, Christmas cards and pamphlets.
The theme of “Science and Poetry” was selected for this year’s celebration. Two seemingly opposite topics work in tandem, using poetry to celebrate interdisciplinary studies at UW-Eau Claire.
Following are this year’s poetry readers:
- Stephanie Farrar, assistant professor, English, UW-Eau Claire
- Karen Mumford, director, Watershed Institute, UW-Eau Claire
- Dani Brake, assistant professor, mathematics, UW-Eau Claire
- Jill Markgraf, director, McIntyre Library, UW-Eau Claire
- Leah Olson-McBride, chair, social work, UW-Eau Claire
- James Schmidt, chancellor, UW-Eau Claire
- Max Garland, professor emeritus, English, UW-Eau Claire; former Wisconsin poet laureate
- Joan Christopherson Schmidt, donor, Frederick G. and Joan Christopherson Schmidt Robert Frost Collection
- Jesse Yang, videographer, Integrated Marketing and Communications, UW-Eau Claire
- Melissa Moore, student services coordinator, Office of Multicultural Affairs, UW-Eau Claire
- Dandrielle Lewis, associate professor, mathematics, UW-Eau Claire
- Elizabeth Glogowski, associate professor, materials science and engineering, UW-Eau Claire
The Frederick and Joan Christopherson Schmidt Robert Frost Celebration of American Poetry is sponsored by the UW-Eau Claire English department, UW-Eau Claire Foundation and McIntyre Library.
For more information or to view the Frost collection, contact Greg Kocken in McIntyre Library's special collections and archives area, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-836-3873.
Photo caption: Joan Christopherson Schmidt, donor of the Frederick G. and Joan Christopherson Schmidt Robert Frost Collection to the UW-Eau Claire Foundation, reads during UW-Eau Claire's 2017 Robert Frost Celebration of American Poetry.