As the Garfield Avenue redevelopment project resumes on UW-Eau Claire’s lower campus and the new upper-campus residence hall construction continues, students, faculty and staff, and community members will see some changes and closures on campus in the coming weeks.
The university footbridge will remain open for the summer. However, from Monday, May 7, through Sunday, May 20, pedestrian and bicycle traffic to and from the south end of the footbridge will be via the sidewalk along the north side of Garfield Avenue only. The north-south sidewalk between the bridge and the campus mall will be closed during this time. (See campus map reflecting this change.)
The following lower-campus changes will be in effect starting Monday, May 21:
- Garfield Avenue will be closed from the Ecumenical Religious Center to Park Avenue as work begins on the removal and replacement of old utilities under the current roadway. This area of Garfield Avenue will be closed for the summer. Access to Hibbard Hall will be via entrances along Park Avenue and on the building’s north side. The north-facing entrances to Zorn Arena and Brewer Hall also will be closed.
- The north-south sidewalk between the footbridge and the campus mall will reopen, and through the summer pedestrian and bicycle traffic will follow this route only. The sidewalk between the bridge and Hibbard Hall will be closed for the summer.
- The east-west sidewalk on the south side of Garfield Avenue will close for the summer. Pedestrian and bicycle access to and from the campus hill will be rerouted to sidewalks south of Schofield Hall, Old Library and Thomas Hall.
- North-facing entrances/exits in Old Library, McIntyre Library, Putnam Hall and Thomas Hall will be closed for the summer due to closure of the east-west sidewalk on the south side of Garfield Avenue.
- See campus map reflecting these changes.
The following closures on upper campus will be in effect May 21-June 8:
Hilltop Circle and the Governors parking lot will be closed for utilities work related to the construction of the new residence hall. There will be no vehicle access to Sutherland, Governors or Horan halls, or Crest Wellness Center during this time. (See campus map reflecting this change.)
Questions regarding summer construction-related changes on campus can be directed to Andrew Nord at firstname.lastname@example.org.