Semiconductors are materials with electrical conductivity between a conductor and an insulator. Conductivity is controlled by the amount and types of impurities in the material. Semiconductors are the materials used in computer chips. Research at UWEC in this area investigates surfaces and interfaces of wide band gap semiconductors like SiC and GaN.
Doug Dunham conducts research in the following:
- Silicon Carbide Nanowire growth and characterization
- Spectroscopic studies of Silicon Carbide- characterizing the surface of single crystal SiC by means of X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, LEED, Photoemission extended X-ray Absorption Fine Structure and various other surface techniques
Mac McEllistrom conducts research in the following:
- Chemistry occurring on solid (often crystalline) surfaces.
- Surface reactions monitored on the 'macro' scaleReactions followed on the atomic scale.
- As an example, the chemistry of hydrogen on silicon surfaces has been studied in some detail, using a variety of techniques.