Move-in day is right around the corner. This is it, the day you have been waiting for! If you haven’t started packing yet, WHAT ARE YOU DOING ONLINE? GO PACK!
But really, if you need some help thinking about what you might need in your new home, Housing and Residence Life has put together a handy checklist that might help you out. Not only is it important to know what you can bring, you should also note what items are not allowed.
We’re excited to welcome you to campus on Saturday!
Once you’re all packed up and ready to hit the road, there are a few things you should know to help your day go as smoothly as possible. As you may expect, traffic and parking will be busy on and around campus. Take a look at a campus map to see which parking lots are closest to your new home. Please allow for extra travel time and be alert when arriving to campus. There will be plenty of staff on hand to help make your trips less frequent and arms less tired!
Here are some moving tips to help enhance your move-in day experience:
- Pack your vehicle the night before. This helps push back your wake-up time and also gives you a second chance to make sure you have everything.
- Pack items so they are easily transported. This means to have things in boxes or plastic containers so everything is contained. Pack each box to a reasonable weight. You might be carrying these boxes up many flights of stairs. Give your arms a break.
- Bring a dolly or moving cart. We’ll have a few carts on hand, but it helps if you have your own.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. Moving can take some time and you need all the energy you can get!
- Limit your elevator trips and utilize the side stairwells. There will be things that you need the elevators for, but if you can carry something up the stairs, give it a try. It will speed up the process.
- Bring any tools you might need. Bringing some carpet for the floor? Pack a carpet knife, tape, etc. to make sure it fits just right and is secure. Putting together a futon? Bring all necessary tools and parts to make that happen.
We also have a secret weapon when it comes to move-in efficiency. They’re called Hall Raisers and they’re here to help you move all of your stuff into your room. Utilize them! Really, they love to help. Here’s what one had to say…
"Hall raisers take the stress out of move in day! Within minutes of your arrival, returning students will welcome you to campus and start carrying things to your room! Not only do you get a ton of help moving, you also start meeting people from the time you step foot on campus." — James Halverson
And of course, keep us posted on your progress on Twitter and Instagram using #uwec. We’re so incredibly excited about your arrival on campus! See you soon!