The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Foundation Board of Directors recently elected new officers, welcomed new members and honored outgoing members.
(Board members’ UW-Eau Claire graduation years are indicated following their names below.)
The following individuals were elected as officers:
- Chair: Andrew Burish ’81, Middleton. He is the managing director of The Burish Group in Madison and has been a financial advisor at UBS since 1984. Burish been named the No. 1 financial advisor in Wisconsin for nine consecutive years by Barron’s Top 1,000.
- Vice chair: Keith Donnermeyer ’75, Granite Bay, California. He retired as a partner with Deloitte & Touche in San Francisco and has served on the board of the American Heart Association and the Bay Area Biosicence Association. Donnermeyer has been a client service partner to some of the largest life sciences and health care clients across the country.
- Secretary: Eric Wan ’96, Agoura Hills, California. A former Blugold hockey player, Wan is executive vice president of sales and marketing and chief commercial officer for Maxor National Pharmacy Services.
- Treasurer: The Honorable Catherine Furay, ’74, Middleton. Appointed in 2013 as a U.S. bankruptcy judge for the Western District of Wisconsin, she now is the chief judge for the Western District. Furay was active in student government at UW-Eau Claire and is a graduate of University of Wisconsin Law School.
- Past chair: George Stroebel ’74, Amery. He is a retired business entrepreneur and retired chief operating officer of Fahnestock & Co., the forerunner of Oppenheimer & Co.
The following individuals have been elected as new members of the board:
- Sarah French ’07, Eau Claire. French is the UW-Eau Claire Alumni Association president and as such has a seat on the Foundation board. French is the executive director of the Eau Claire Public Schools Foundation. She and her husband, former UW-Eau Claire student body president Ray French, recently relocated to Eau Claire. While a UW-Eau Claire student, she worked for the Foundation's Telefund and was active in Women’s Concert Chorale and Women’s Chorus.
- Mary Jo Quinn ’77, Arlington Heights, Illinois. Quinn is vice president and general counsel with Allstate Financial in Northbrook, Illinois. She leads a team of lawyers providing legal services to Allstate’s portfolio of more than $80 billion. She is a board member of the Allstate Investment Management Company, managing approximately $11 billion. She also serves on the advisory board for Cabrini Green Legal Aid and served as the board's co-chair in 2013, and the board of trustees for Equip for Equality, an Illinois nonprofit advancing human and civil rights for persons with disabilities.
- Brandon Riechers ’98, ’03, ’17 (MBA), Eau Claire. Riechers recently was named president and chief executive officer of Royal Credit Union, replacing former Royal CEO and Foundation board member Rudy Pereira. Riechers, an Eau Claire native who has been with Royal for more than 20 years, previously was Royal's executive vice president and chief lending officer. He is a graduate of the CUNA Management School and Cardwell CEO Leadership program, and he led the expansion of Royal’s Minnesota markets.
- Raymond Skwierczynski ’84, Andover, Massachusetts. Skwierczynski served as vice president and head of pharmaceutical operations at CoLucid Pharmaceuticals, a Phase 3 clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company that is developing lasmiditan for the acute treatment of migraine headaches. Before the acquisition of CoLucid by Eli Lilly and Co., he was responsible for drug substance and drug product development, manufacturing, and supply chain and served as a corporate officer. Skwierczynski also serves on an expert committee for the U.S. Pharmacopeia and served on the board of directors for the Boy Scouts of America-Yankee Clipper Council.
- Bill Sparkes ’99, Eau Claire. Sparkes is the general sales manager for iHeart Media. He also is an entrepreneur and owns various property rentals. He is a graduate of the Eau Claire Area Chamber of Commerce Leadership Eau Claire program, and he has served as chair of the board of the Oz Run, an organization that creates family-friendly events to raise money and awareness for Chippewa Valley organizations. He also has been a participant in the Dancing with the Eau Claire Stars benefit for the Eau Claire Children's Theatre.
The board also honored the following outgoing Foundation board members and recognized them as emeriti members: Betsy Kell ’73, Eau Claire, who served as a general board member and as secretary of the board and provided exceptional leadership as a liaison with UW-Eau Claire's Blugold Beginnings program; and Barry Moullet ’83, Chetek and New Smyrna Beach, Florida, who is the board's former chair. Moullet also was elected to serve on the Blugold Real Estate Foundation board.
Elected to additional terms on the board were Dr. Michael Carney ‘83, Eau Claire (a non-voting, ex-officio member in his role as UW-Eau Claire associate vice chancellor for academic affairs); Todd Eberhardt ’89, Orono, Minnesota; the Honorable Catherine Furay ’74, Middleton; Dr. Melissa Hoeppner and Tim Hoeppner ’82, Arlington Heights, Illinois; Jeff Liddicoat ’81, Ripon; and Jim Mellinger ’83 and Sara Mellinger ’83, Southlake, Texas.
Learn more about the UW-Eau Claire Foundation at www.uwec.edu/foundation.
Photo cutline: Newly appointed to the UW-Eau Claire Foundation board are (from left) Mary Jo Quinn '77, Bill Sparkes '99, Raymond Skwierczynski '84, Brandon Riechers '98, '03, '17, and Sarah French '07.