Amy Orthaus, a human resource management major from Lake City, MN, has been named the 2016-17 Outstanding Business Communication Student by the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire business communication faculty. Selection is based on the student's achievements in business communication classes, contributions to the program and attitude toward the role of business communication in the student's personal and professional success.
Orthaus, who graduates this May, completed the Advanced Business Communication certificate in addition to her major. She was also a tutor in the BCOM Writing and Presentation Studio.
“What has always impressed me about Amy is her hard-work and determination to improve her communication skills, empathy for others, and the sense of fun and professionalism that she brings with her where ever she goes,” said Emily Elsner Twesme, lecturer in the Department of Business Communication and coordinator of the department’s Writing and Presentation Studio. “Amy’s got bright things ahead of her!”
In addition to recognizing Orthaus, the Business Communication Department awarded Lorraine Missling Scholarships to the following students:
- Sarah Benish, a sophomore business administration major from Union Center, WI. She has completed the Advanced Business Communication certificate
- Laura Emory, a junior operations and supply chain management major from Savage, MN. She has competed the Advanced Business Communication certificate.
- Rachel Hand, a senior operations and supply chain management major from Wrightstown, WI.
- Nick Houchin, a junior management major from Eau Claire, WI
- Jordan Janssen, a junior information systems major from Little Chute, WI.
- Matthew Kahn, a junior business administration major from Hubertus, WI. He has completed the Advanced Business Communication certificate.
- Olivia Large, a sophomore marketing major from Port Washington, WI. She has completed the Advanced Business Communication certificate.
- Emily Ollig, a sophomore information systems major from Osceola, WI
- Paul Willfahrt, a sophomore finance and business economics double major from Auburndale, WI double major
For more information about the Outstanding Business Communication Student Award, contact Dr. Paula Lentz, academic program director, UW-Eau Claire Business Communication Program.
Amy Orthaus, In her own words
“Business communication coursework has helped me personally and professionally. I have learned how to prepare, practice, and present presentations more efficiently and effectively. I have also gotten over my fear of public speaking, and have become more comfortable presenting to large groups of people.
Many of the employers I interviewed with asked me about my Advanced Business Communication certificate as they were unfamiliar with this special program offered by the College of Business. I think having the BCOM certificate and working in the BCOM Presentations and Writing Studio are the two main reasons why I got the job at Mayo Clinic. Much of what I will be doing for Mayo has to do with communication through operations as well as through different communication channels.
I'm so grateful and blessed to have had such caring, personable, and hardworking business communication professors who have helped guide and shape me into the young business professional that I have become. Emily Elsner Twesme, in particular, has been a great mentor and resource the past two years. She truly cares about her students and makes a difference on a daily basis!”