The Fall 2015 Career Conference is Thursday, September 24 from 10 am-3 pm in the UW-Eau Claire Davies Center Ojibwe and Dakota Ballrooms. A Pre-Career Conference Reception will be held the night before on Wednesday, September 23 from 7-9 pm in the Davies Center Ballroom. All UW-Eau Claire students are invited to both events.
Career Conference is a big event on the UW-Eau Claire campus. Last year over 130 employers and over 1,000 UW-Eau Claire students attended the two-day career fair. This year's conference promises to be even bigger.
We strongly encourage all College of Business students to attend Career Conference. It is a great place to develop your networking skills as you learn more about career options and career paths in your major. You will also learn about the companies that recruit on campus, such as what they do and where they are located, what type of majors they hire, whether they offer internships, and what their hiring process is.
To help you get the most out of this year's Career Conference, we offer the following 12 tips. Good luck and have fun!
1. Learn what Career Conference is all about.
- Attend a Career Conference Prep Session. Wed. Sept. 9, 4
pm OR Tues., Sept. 22 at 3 pm. Old Library 1128. Registration not required.
2. Find out who is coming.
- Download the new UWEC Career Fair app. It's free! You can find it at the App Store or Google Play Store by searching for UWEC Career Fair Plus. TIP: Be sure to research the companies you are interested in by reviewing their websites.
3. Attend a pre-conference workshop.
- Attend the Interviewing workshop, Thur., Sept. 10, 11 am
- Learn how to use LinkedIn, Mon. Sept. 14, 12 noon.
- Put together a cover letter and resume, Tues., Sept. 15, 3 pm OR Mon., Sept. 21
at 12 noon.
All workshops are held in Old Library 1128. Registration not required.
4. Put your resume together and get it reviewed.
- Participate in the Walk In Resume Review. Thur., Sept. 17, from 12
noon –2 pm OR Fri., Sept. 18, from 10 am-12 noon. Career Services, Schofield
230. No appointment needed.
TIP: Bring extra copies of your resume to Career Conference.
5. Prepare a 30-second
- Think about how you want to introduce yourself to employers. A good pitch includes some information about yourself, your goals (for example, are you seeking information about your major or looking for full-time employment), and your skills and knowledge. Still stumped? View video
6. Practice your interview skills.
- Attend Mock Interview Day, Wed, Sept. 16, from 10 am-2
pm. All interviews held in Career Services, Schofield 230. Registration required. Professional dress is recommended. TIP: Some employers will interview students they like at Career
Conference so come prepared for an interview. And if they don't mention an interview, don't be afraid to ask them
7. Plan what you are going to wear.
- First impressions are important. If you have a suit you should wear it. If not, wear clothing that is clean, neatly pressed and as professional as possible.
8. Smile! Get a free, professional photo taken.
- Attend the LinkedIn photo shoot, Wed, Sept. 16 from 10 am-2
pm. Hallway outside of Schofield 230. No
appointment needed. Dress appropriately.
9. RSVP for the Pre-Career Conference Reception.
- Meet employers in a more relaxed setting before the big event. An added bonus:
the food is great! RSVP here.
11. Relax and have fun.
- Career Conference is all about networking and meeting people. Be sure to ask for a business card from everyone you meet. REMEMBER every employer was once in your shoes.
12. Don't forget to follow up.
- A personal note shows you are interested. It also sets you apart from others.