My heart is swelling with Blugold pride as I look back on the amazing displays of scholarship, talent and spirit by our students in recent days.
It felt like a good time to share a blog post, given the difficult year it’s been for our campus community. In short, my experiences with our students over the past week have reminded me that our work together really, truly matters.
Time after time, I had the wonderful opportunity to witness the culmination of all the teaching and advising and mentoring and support our students receive from our outstanding faculty, staff and community partners:
- I had the honor of speaking at our Service-Learning Recognition Breakfast, where we recognized students, mentors, community partners and faculty and staff who have made a difference through UW-Eau Claire’s unique service-learning program. The Blugold service-learning requirement continues to be an important part of our students’ overall learning experience, allowing them to make a very real difference here in the community while encouraging them to use their knowledge and skills in lifetimes of service to their communities following graduation.
- I was wowed by the array of talents of our students who will graduate this month with their bachelor of fine arts degrees. I encourage everyone who hasn’t yet done so to take in the Senior BFA Exhibition in the Foster Gallery in the Haas Fine Arts Center. The dates and times for parts 1 and 2 of this exhibition are available on the gallery website.
- At the Celebration of Excellence in Research and Creative Activity, I was struck by the breadth and depth of the scholarly work our students have the good fortune to participate in, thanks to the mentorship of so many dedicated faculty and staff. The real-world questions and diverse topics explored and the in-depth scholarship required of our students in their work on these research and creative projects will serve them well as they seek employment in their chosen fields or move on to graduate school.
- On Saturday I had the chance to witness excellence in Blugold athletics as I watched our talented softball team take two wins over UW Oshkosh to win the regular season WIAC conference title. Congratulations to these hard-working student-athletes! Starting this Friday, May 6, UW-Eau Claire will host the WIAC championship tournament for the second year in a row. Be sure to turn out and support the Blugolds and see some impressive softball action!
- Sunday was our second run at hosting the Blugold Mile during the Eau Claire Marathon. What a display of Blugold spirit! We had a huge turnout of students, alumni and community members to give runners a boost during a difficult stage of both the full and half marathon races. I’m seeing in media coverage of the race that the Blugold Mile was a highlight for competitors. What a great event to showcase our beautiful campus and to demonstrate our support for the community!
More events highlighting student, faculty and staff successes and opportunities to experience Blugold spirit are on tap in the coming weeks. As we head into the home stretch of the semester, please make sure to take part in some of these end-of-the-academic-year activities. It’s an impactful way to remind ourselves of the importance of what we do.
See more Chancellor's Blog entries.