The Business Communication Writing and Presentations Studio is now open for the spring 2021 semester! Even if you do not have writing assignments in your courses right now, you can schedule an appointment for help on your résumés and other application materials so you are prepared for upcoming virtual career fairs and internship or job interviews.
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. –5:00 p.m.
Fridays from 8:00 a.m.–noon
What can tutors help students with?
- Planning, drafting, writing, revising, and organizing papers or presentations
- Reviewing a recorded presentation with the student (the student should provide the recording) and offering tips for improvement
- Writing résumés, cover letters, emails, letters
- Writing a research paper
How to Schedule an Appointment:
All appointments are currently held online in MS Teams.
- Make an appointment by selecting the “Schedule an appointment now” tile at the bottom of the Studio’s homepage. When you are in the appointment software:
- Add your phone number if you would like a tutor to call you directly, OR
- Enter your email if you prefer to be sent a link to a video meeting through MS Teams.
- Email your document to the BCOM Studio Tutor group at email@example.com. Be sure to include your name in the file name of the document you send.
- At the scheduled time of your appointment, your tutor will either call you, if that is how you requested to meet, or will email a link to a meeting in MS Teams. Simply click on the link in the body of the email to join the tutor in MS Teams. Be sure to have the document you emailed to the BCOM tutor group in front of you for the meeting. Note: you do not need to have MS Teams downloaded to use this feature.
Who are the tutors?
All of the tutors have taken BCOM 206-Business Writing, BCOM 207-Business Presentations, and BCOM 306-Advanced Business Writing, and some have taken or are taking other upper-division BCOM courses as well. Tutors have also undergone training and continue to have monthly training in how to evaluate and give feedback on presentations and writing assignments.
What should students bring to their appointments?
- A copy of your assignment (mailed to the Studio before the appointment)
- The assignment sheet
- The grading rubric
- The textbook
Contact Paula Lentz, Director of the Business Communication Writing and Presentations Studio, for more information or questions.