If you are renting a vehicle for a business purpose, please follow proper procedures in order to stay in compliance with UW System and UW-Eau Claire policies.
Below is an outline of some of the policies to follow:
- University-issued charge cards are to be used by the cardholder only; they are not to be shared.
- Vehicles are to be rented as one vehicle to one person per the Enterprise and National – Big 10 Contract or the Hertz – State Contract (secondary).
- Add-ons/fuel options are disallowed
- Title and Registration Fees are allowed
- Sales tax is disallowed
- The renter is to physically present the charge card at the merchant counter when the vehicle is picked up.
- Any additional drivers are to be added at the counter when the vehicle is picked up.
- Drivers for the vehicles are to be named so their VUA can be confirmed.
- Regulations of Wis. Stat. s. 893.82 and 895.46 surrounding student drivers are complicated and the repercussions severe.
- Student non -majors are not covered by the State Self-Funded Liability Program are not to drive.
- Student majors require both the advance approved VUA and University Business Use of the vehicle in writing. (An approved SFS Travel Authorization will suffice at this time.
- Any gas receipts are to be associated with the specific rental vehicle.
- The cardholder paying for the fuel is to be physically present with the vehicle when fueling.
- The rental vehicle is to be associated with a particular trip and date(s).
- A log kept with the vehicle would suffice for long term rentals.
- Passenger/trip participants are to be listed for the particular trip and also to justify the size/type of vehicle rented.
- Trip agenda/itinerary must be included and associated with the specific rental vehicle and trip dates.
- During COVID-19 travel restriction period, the SFS Travel Authorization and the division head’s approval email is to be attached to the TER or PT log.