Below are guidelines to follow when paying for a meal for another person or group of people as in accordance with Administrative Policy 435, Headquarter City & UW System Sponsored Event Policy.
Before you leave to host a meal, remember to:
- View the policies for UW System Sponsored Events.
- Must be covering someone besides the payee
- Must fall under a business functions under definition of University Sponsored Events
- Bring Payment: If you are taking your staff or guest to a restaurant for a meal during a business meeting, you can pay for the food with a US Bank Corporate Card or personal funds (P and PT cards are not allowed).
- Interested in a corporate card? Apply for a corporate card
- Bring your Tax Exemption Evidence: You are encouraged to take along a tax exemption card which explains the University's tax exempt status and helps to provide evidence and credibility when requesting tax exemption.
- Bring your ID: Bring your Blugold ID card in case the restaurant staff requests to see it.
While you are hosting a meal, remember to:
- Spend within maximum rates: Hosted meals must be within the maximum rate per person for both within Wisconsin and all other locations (including international). The maximum rates include taxes and gratuity up to 20%.
- This can be found on UWTravelWIse: Headquarter City and Sponsored Events (Hosted Meals)
- Pay with the correct means of purchase: Use your Corporate Card or personal funds (P and PT cards are not allowed).
- Request tax exemption and show your tax exempt card, ES 008-1020421203-13.
- Do not purchase alcohol.
- Request an itemized receipt; it should list each item ordered and payment method. This is required for reimbursement.
Apply for reimbursement by submitting a Travel Expense Report (TER) following the guidelines in the document, How To Create Expense Reports in the Expense Module.
- List your expense type as Meals-Hosted
- Attach an agenda
- Attach a list of attendees' names
- Attach all itemized receipts,
- Justify why the meeting had to take place over a meal time
- Taxes in WI are not reimbursable
- Gratitude up to 20% is reimbursable
Visit the Firstsource + Travel page for more information, or for additional assistance, contact the ASK Center Firstsource Support Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715-836-3131.