UW-Eau Claire has nearly 230 student organizations on campus and the UW-Eau Claire Student Student Senate encourages all students to follow their passion. If you have an idea for a student organization and something similar doesn't already exist on campus, you can apply for official UWEC student organization recognition between September 1st and November 30th each fall.
The Student Organizations Commission of the UW-Eau Claire Student Senate has the authority to recommend to the Activities, Involvement, and Leadership office the granting and suspension of recognition for all campus organizations, and to recommend policies governing the operation of all student organizations. Any group of students proposing to form a new campus organization must meet all of the Student Organizations Commission and UW-System regulations and requirements. The Activities, Involvement, and Leadership Office will make the final determination regarding which organizations will become a UWEC recognized student organization (RSO.)
- Request a New Student Organization (Applications open between Sept. 1st - Nov. 30th only)
- Student Organization Annual Renewal Requirements (Fall Semester)
- Model Constitution
- Constitution Requirements
- Student Organization Name Change Requests
- Deactivation a UWEC Student Organization
Before You Start:
Please note that not all new or reactivating student organizations will be approved, based on several factors, including but not limited to the number of similar organizations, the interest and sustainability, and the use of campus resources. The New/Reactivating Student Organization process is a Fall semester process only. Applications are accepted for a limited time each fall semester (Sept. 1 - Nov. 30.)
Questions to consider before applying:
1. Does your organization overlap with any existing organizations and what makes it different from similar organizations?
2. Does your organization meet the current constitution guidelines for recognition?
3. Is your organization sustainable? Do you have members and interest to keep the organization going from year to year?
4. Why does UWEC need this organization you are proposing?
5. What resources will your organization require and can the UWEC Senate/University support your needs?
NOTE: Certain types of organizations may require further vetting and approvals from other departments or administrators as well as additional recognition processes. This includes but not limited to Club Sports and/or chapters of National Organizations.
- Sign into Blugold Connect - UWEC's new online student engagement platform using your UWEC credentials - REQUESTS MUST BE MADE BY A CURRENT UWEC STUDENT (faculty or non-student request will automatically be denied.)
- Click on the Organizations tab to review all currently recognized UWEC student organizations to ensure that there isn't a student organization that already exists with the same purpose. The Student Organizations Commission has the authority to deny your request if a similar student organization is already established at UWEC.
- If it is determined that another student organization does not exist with the same or similar purpose, you will need to prepare the following items prior to moving on to step 4:
- Create and submit your organization's constitution form (which is housed within the Blugold Connect system)
- Secure a current UWEC Faculty/Staff member who has agreed to serve as the organization's advisor.
- Once your constitution form has been APPROVED by the Student Organizations Commission, you will need to complete and submit the online ORGANIZATION REGISTRATION FORM.
- Complete all required registration fields.
- Click Submit.
Upon receiving the completed request, the organization will be placed on Provisional Status Information for up to six weeks while the Student Organizations Commission of the Student Senate reviews the request in its entirety to ensure all requirements have been met.
During the Provisional Status timeframe, the student organization will be allowed to do the following:
- Reserve meeting rooms - facilities may be used only for the purpose of forming the organization. Privileges of financial solicitation, presentation of speakers, social events (including the Blu's Orgs Bash), etc. are reserved for fully RSO's (Recognized Student Organizations) only.
- Set up tables in the Davies Center for recruitment purposes only.
- Utilize bulletin board space (to display posters) and digital advertising to conduct membership drives.
- Utilize an assigned mail slot & workshop located within the Student Organizations & Leadership Center (220 Davies Center).
Any organization violating its provisional status will have their organization immediately revoked. The organization may start the New/Reactivating Organization Registration request process over again if it falls between September 1 - November 30. The decision to revoke status will be made by the Student Organizations Commission of the Student Senate or the Activities, Involvement, and Leadership office. The decision of the Student Organization Commission may be appealed to the entire Student Senate.
IF ALL NEW or REACTIVATING STUDENT ORGANIZATION REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT MET: The group shall be granted an additional time-period in which to revise the registration/constitution information and resubmit it for a second review.
IF ALL NEW or REACTIVATING STUDENT ORGANIZATION REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN MET: The Student Organizations Commission will make a recommendation to the Activities, Involvement, and Leadership office who will then make the final recognition determination. Upon approval by the Activities, Involvement, and Leadership office, the group shall be registered as an officially "recognized student organization" (RSO.)
In compliance with University regulations regarding student organizations the following THREE ANNUAL RENEWAL REQUIREMENT STEPS must be completed no later than October 15th (by 11:59pm) each fall semester to remain in good standing:
- All student organization Presidents must complete the mandatory org leaders online training (Kaleidoscope - available via their Canvas account) (Additional e-board members are encouraged to complete this training as well - contact the Activities, Involvement, & Leadership office should you wish to have additional members complete the training OR if you do not see the training module within your Canvas account)
- Renew/update/transition their organizations' Blugold Connect portal information
- Secure/ensure a current UWEC faculty/staff advisor is in place
Student organizations must also update their organizations' Blugold Connect profile information any time there is a change of officers or advisors.
Organizations that fail to renew their organization registration by the October 15th deadline will automatically be deactivated.
Deactivated organizations lose all rights and privileges of an organization including, but not limited to:
- The right to reserve rooms
- Apply for student segregated fee funding
- Participate in the bi-annual Blu's Organizations Bashes
- Set up tables in the Davies Center and/or on the Campus Mall
- Use bulletin board or digital monitor space to display information
- Use mailboxes, lockers, or supplies in the Student Organizations and Leadership Center or Workshop
- Use of the online student organization management system - Blugold Connect.
Organizations are required to review their constitutions annually in order to update any necessary information. Organizations must complete and upload their constitutions via their Blugold Connect portal profile information. All corrections and revisions must be approved by the Student Organizations Commission to become valid.The Student Organizations Commission will review constitutional changes and decide by majority vote if they adhere to Constitution Requirements. If approved by the Student Organizations Commission, the constitution will be approved within the organization’s Blugold Connect profile information. If changes are deemed necessary by the Student Organizations Commission, the organization may do the following:
An organization’s constitution is a written document that incorporates the organization’s basic principles and rules, and defines the way in which it will be governed.
Please use the online constitution form to create or update your organizations' constitution. The items marked "required" are Constitution Requirements that must appear in your constitution - you will not be able to submit your constitution form until they are filled in.
The online constitution form - available by clicking on the link or within Blugold Connect and should be completed and uploaded into your organizations' Blugold Connect profile information after your constitution form has been approved by the Student Organizations Commission (you must have administrative access to your organizations' Blugold Connect portal to complete this step - should you require assistance with obtaining administrative access - please contact the Student Organizations & Leadership Center.)
If you have any questions regarding the importance of any of the following points, if you need help in formulating your constitution, or to obtain a sample constitution, please contact one of the following:
CONSTITUTION RECOMMENDATIONS: Groups or organizations needing to create or update their constitution should refer to the Requirements/Guidelines for Constitutions outlined above and then complete the online Constitution Form.
The Student Organizations Commission of Student Senate reserves the right to review and assess both organizations and their constitutions. In addition, should an organization’s national affiliate not reasonably comply with the requirements for UW-Eau Claire constitutions, the Student Organizations Commission of the Student Senate reserves the right to revoke a campus organizations' recognition status.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Student organizations who have become deactivated due to non-compliance with the Annual Student Organization Renewal requirements will not be able to reactivate until a minimum of ONE FULL SEMESTER has lapsed from the time that the deactivation occurred.
- Inactive organizations can reapply for active status by filling out a Student Organization Registration request form.
NOTE: You must retain a current UW-Eau Claire faculty/staff advisor prior to submitting this form (retired faculty/staff may not serve as primary advisors.)
- Inactive organizations that have filled out a Student Organization Registration request form are considered provisional and must adhere to Provisional Status Information until six weeks have passed or the organization has been approved by the Student Organizations Commission.
- A new or revised constitution form must then be uploaded and submitted via the petitioning organizations' online Blugold Connect profile.
- The Student Organizations Commission will review the submitted constitution and decide by majority vote if it adheres to Constitution Requirements.
If approved by the Student Organizations Commission, the constitution and organization will be approved within the organization’s Blugold Connect profile information. If changes are deemed necessary by the Student Organizations Commission, the organization may do the following:
- Appeal to the Student Senate by informing the President, in writing, one week before the next scheduled Senate meeting that they feel their constitution is complete.
- If changes are deemed necessary by the Student Senate, the organization can make the necessary revisions to their constitution and resubmit the revised constitution form via Blugold Connect and begin the process again.
- Student organizations wishing to make changes regarding their officially recognized name must complete and submit a Petition for Student Organization Name Change.
- A new or revised constitution form reflecting the new name must then be uploaded and submitted via the petitioning organizations' online Blugold Connect profile.
- The Student Organizations Commission will then review the submitted constitution and decide by majority vote if it adheres to Constitution Requirements 2020-2021. If approved by the Student Organizations Commission, the constitution and organizational name change will be approved within the organizations' Blugold Connect profile information. If changes are deemed necessary by the Student Organizations Commission, the organization will be notified by the Student Organizations Commission Director.