You can share files and folders in OneDrive with other UW-Eau Claire account holders only. If you have a personal OneDrive account, you will not be able to share between the two. Sharing files with edit permissions allows multiple people to edit the same file simultaneously.
There are several ways to initiate sharing a file in OneDrive:
- When creating or editing a document online, click the Share button on the top right of the screen.
- In the OneDrive Documents file list, right click an existing file or folder, and select Share.
- In the OneDrive Documents file list, click the checkmark next to an existing file or folder, and select the Share button at the top of the list.
- With the document open in the full Microsoft application, click the File button from the top bar, select Share from the left hand bar, and the top option, Invite People, should be selected.
After initiating the Share Dialog, there are two ways you can share a file or folder. You can share with individuals and groups or you can create a link to allow for anonymous or inter-University viewing and/or editing.
Sharing with Individuals and Groups
- Once the Share dialog box is open, enter names, email addresses, or Everyone in the top text box according to who you wish to share the document with.
- Click the dropdown next to the top text box to select the permission level.
Selecting Can edit allows the others to make changes to the document and share the document with others.
Selecting Can view allows them to only read the document.
- (Optional) In the second text box, add a message, instructions, etc. if desired.
- Sharing a file will automatically send the invitees an email notification with a direct link to the document.
To prevent the email from sending, click Show Options and uncheck the box to Send an email invitation.
Using Anonymous or Company Links
- After opening up the sharing dialog click Get a link in the left side of the share dialog.
- From here you can access all of the link types you can create by clicking on the down arrow in the selection box.
The four link options are:
- View link - UW-Eau Claire account required: The link allows anyone with a UW-Eau Claire account who is sent this link to view the file or contents of a folder.
- Edit link - UW-Eau Claire account required: This link allows anyone with a UW-Eau Claire account who is sent this link to edit the file or contents of a folder.
- View link - no sign-in required: This link allows anyone who is sent this link to view the file or contents of a folder.
- Edit link - no sign-in required: This link allows anyone who is sent this link to edit the file or contents of a folder.
Clicking on any of those options will automatically create a link.
- Once the link has been created you may right click on the link and select Copy and then email it out to whomever you want.
- With the Anonymous links, you can set an expiration on them by clicking on the Set Expiration text.
The link will only function for the amount of time specified.
- When you are done using the link, you can delete it by clicking the Remove Link text on the appropriate link.
- Unless you select differently, each invitee will receive an email invitation with a direct link to the file.
- Invitees will also see the shared file listed in their Shared with me section of their OneDrive.
- Be cautious in giving Can Edit permissions to your file! This allows people to change, delete, and give others complete editing capabilities for the file without your additional permission.