Skip to main content
Return to campus fall 2020 and other COVID-19 updates   READ MORE »

Purchasing: University Issued Credit Cards

Last updated

For more information on University-issued credit cards, visit the links below:

Available Cards

There are three credit cards that UWEC issues to employees: The corporate card, the procurement card, and the procurement travel card. When making a purchase with these cards, do not pay sales tax; the University is tax exempt.

Procurement Card Procurement Travel Card Corporate Card
procurement card travel card corporate card
Apply Apply Apply

Who can be a cardholder?

All University staff and faculty are eligible to be a cardholder. Anyone who is authorized to make business purchases may be a cardholder, not including students.

For example:

  • University Staff and Faculty
  • Full / Part Time University Employees
  • Project Employees
  • LTEs
  • Professors, researchers, mechanics, engineers, etc.
  • Field staff
  • Program support staff
  • Purchasing staff

Card security

  • Cards should be stored in a secure place. In some areas, it is more appropriate for specific individuals to carry the cards. In either case, the account number should be protected as any blanket or open vendor order number has been in the past.
  • The only person authorized to use the card is the cardholder. Remember that the individual whose name appears on the card bears the responsibility for purchases recorded to that card.

If you have any questions, contact Corporate Payment Systems Customer Service at 1-800-344-5696.

Procurement Card (P Card)

Also known as the “Supply Card”, this card is for making supply purchases and other approved items. It is a University liability; UWEC pays the bill when it is received. You will need to fill out a log to justify each expense made on the card.

purchasing card

Allowed Charges

Disallowed Charges

  • Books – Classroom or Office
  • Business Travel Expenses
  • Hardware Supplies
  • Academic Support Services
  • Classroom Supplies
  • Sales Tax
  • Laboratory Supplies
  • Promotional Items using 102 Funds
  • Computer Supplies
  • Insurance
  • Maintenance Supplies
  • Alarm or Security Systems
  • Electrical Supplies
  • Leases
  • Office Supplies
  • Air Conditioners
  • Video and Camera Supplies
  • Entertainment
  • Plumbing Supplies
  • Alcoholic Beverages
  • Postage, FedEx Charges
  • Legal Services
  • Slide Duplication
  • Ammunition or Weapons
  • Dues and Memberships*
  • Motor Vehicles
  • Subscriptions – New and Renewal *
  • Cash Advances
  • Services**
  • Personal Items
  • Repair Services
  • Consulting Services
  • Approved items that cannot be bought on Shop@UW
  • Cards (Thank You, Birthday, Sympathy, Etc.)
  • Printing or Photocopying
  • Conferences or Training Fees
  • Flowers
  • Prizes, Gifts, or Awards (need approval from A/P)
  • Gift Cards
  • Food, Refreshments, Meals
  • Picture Frames
  • Kleenex / Sanitizer for Personal Use
  • Paper Plates, Utensils, Napkins (for office parties)
  • T-Shirts
  • Promotional Candy or Food

* Only one payment per individual or institution per year.
** If pre-authorized by Accounts Payable (includes advertising, labor, and repairs).


Procurement Travel Card (PT Card)

This card is for any business-related travel (not including food). It is a University liability; UWEC pays the bill when it is received. You will need to fill out a log to justify each expense made on the card. This is to be used for travel only.

travel card

Allowed Charges

Disallowed Charges

  • Airfare
  • Anything allowed on the P Card
  • Rental Vehicle and its Gas
  • Supplies
  • Ground Transportation (train, bus, taxi, shuttle)
  • Food
  • Conference and Webinar Registration
  • Gas for Personal Car
  • Lodging
  • Tour Charges
  • Parking
  • Lodging Amenities or Incidentals
  • Travel Agency Service Fees
  • Personal Phone Calls
  • Personal Internet Charges
  • Fuel Service Option (FSO) on Rental Cars (prepaid gasoline)


Corporate Card (US Bank)

The Corporate Travel Card may be used for all reimbursable travel expenses for business, as well as for non-reimbursable expenses that are reasonably incident to business-related travel expenses. The employee must pay for all expenses (personal liability) and then apply for reimbursement through the Travel Expense Reimbursement (TER) process. When expenses are made, the cardholder has 60 days to make sure a payment is made.

corporate card

Allowed Charges

Disallowed Charges

  • All reimbursable travel expenses related to official State of Wisconsin business
  • Personal Expenses
  • Non-reimbursable expenses that are reasonably incident to business-related travel expenses
  • Retail, revolving credit shopping card
  • Anything allowed on the P or PT cards
  • Meals


For additional assistance, contact the ASK Center, 715-836-3131.

Was this article helpful? Yes No

View / Print PDF