Skip to main content
COVID-19 updates from UW-Eau Claire   READ MORE »

Noah Shaw and Company Records, 1868-1893

Last updated

Summary Information

Title: Noah Shaw and Company Records

Inclusive Dates: 1868-1893

Creator: Noah Shaw and Company

Call Number: Eau Claire Mss AX; Eau Claire Micro 17; Micro 945

Quantity: 0.4 c.f. (1 archives box) and 4 reels of microfilm (35mm)

Repository: Housed at the Area Research Center, William D. McIntyre Library, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire; owned by the Wisconsin Historical Society, Library-Archives Division

Archival Locations: UW-Eau Claire McIntyre Library / Eau Claire Area Research Ctr.

Abstract: Records of the first iron foundry in Eau Claire which served the lumber companies of the Chippewa Valley. Includes letterpress copybooks, ledgers that note clients and work performed and financial journals. The firm was known as Shaw, Fisk and Company, Eagle Iron Works, and Noah Shaw and Company at various stages of its existence.

Language: English

Search Terms/Subject Terms

  • Shaw, Noah, 1831-
  • Industries—Wisconsin—Eau Claire
  • Iron Foundries—Wisconsin—Eau Claire
  • Eagle Iron Works (Eau Claire, Wis.)
  • Shaw, Fisk and Company (Eau Claire, Wis.)

Biography/History

In 1860, Noah Shaw, J.D. Fisk, D.H. Ferguson and N.B. Greer organized Shaw Fisk and Company, the first foundry located in Eau Claire. The company eliminated the need to ship machinery to La Crosse or Milwaukee for repair or re-casting. By 1866 a stone building was constructed to house the firm where, at its height, 75 employees performed 75,000 dollars’ worth of work in a year.

Shifts in ownership occurred along with the company's growth. In 1863 Greer sold his shares to the three remaining partners while in 1864 Shaw and Dr. W.T. Galloway each purchased half of Fisk's shares. Ferguson sold his interest to Galloway in 1867. Shaw became sole owner of the foundry when, in 1873 or 1874, he purchased Galloway's holdings.

By 1872 the firm was known as the Noah Shaw Foundry and by 1887 as the Eagle Iron Works. The once prosperous company was not listed in the 1899-1900 Eau Claire city directory under any of its names and that remained so into the twentieth century. Since the foundry was unincorporated it never filed corporation reports with Wisconsin's Secretary of State.

Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of Letterpress Copybooks and a microfilm copy of Ledgers; Journals; and Check Stubs; each of these categories is arranged chronologically. The Letterpress Copybooks, 1885-1873, comprise the firm's correspondence with clients, suppliers and others interested in its services. Ledgers, 1869-1886, provide a list of clients, dates of services rendered, cost of materials and billing dates. Journals, 18681885, contain debit and credit information for the firm broken down into foundry, cash, and sundry columns. Account numbers are listed by client names. The Check Stubs document payments made by the firm from 1888 to 1891.

Administrative/Restriction Information

Acquisition Information: Presented by the Chippewa Valley Museum, 1982. Accession Number: M82-345

Processing Information: Processed by Vivian Laflamme, August 1983.

Contents List

Eau Claire Mss AX Letterpress Copybooks
Box 1 Folder 1 1885 June - 1888 October
Box 1 Folder 2 1890 June - 1893 [December]
Eau Claire Micro 17/Micro 945 Journals
Reel 1 1868 December - 1872 August
Reel 1 1872 September - 1875 May
Reel 2 1875 June - 1880 March
Reel 2 1882 September - 1882 December
Reel 2 1883 January - 1885 December
Ledgers
Reel 2 1869-1874
Reel 3 1874-1879
Reel 3 1879-1882
Reel 4 1883-1886
Reel 4 Check Stubs, 1888-1891

Was this article helpful? Yes No

View / Print PDF