Kaltura My Media is a cloud-based video streaming and sharing site, comparable to YouTube for educational purposes. Students are welcomed to use Kaltura to upload and share videos, but it is often a few additional steps than just uploading to Canvas directly. We strongly recommend for instructors to use Kaltura for their videos so they can be captioned by staff if a student with a hearing disability requires captions.
Upload and share your video in Canvas if…
- You are recording a webcam or phone video and do not need to record the screen
- You don’t need editing features
- The video is under 500 MB (phone videos quickly exceed this limit)
- Your instructor has not indicated a requirement or preference for you to use Canvas or Kaltura My Media
- Record video using the rich content editor as a student
- Submit assignments/videos in the Canvas Student app: Apple/iOS users / Android users
- We do not have Arc, so ignore those instructions.
- Contact Canvas Help if you have troubles.
Upload and share your video through Kaltura My Media if…
- Your video is over 500 MB (the Canvas limit)
- You want to record a screencast (vs record your webcam or upload from a mobile device)
- You want to share your video outside of Canvas with a URL
- You’d like to trim the beginning or end of the video or make clips from it
- Your instructor told you to do so, even if you don’t think you meet the above criteria (listen to your instructor!)