If you have not installed KalturaCapture, please see these instructions. The steps below will guide you through creating a recording.
- Login to Canvas.
- Click Account in the global navigation on the left.
- Select My Media.
- If this is your first time using Kaltura within Canvas, you will need to click Authorize.
- Click Add New on the top right.
- Choose KalturaCapture.
- If this is your first time using KalturaCapture you will need to download it.
- This process is fairly straight-forward on personal computers. Click the button on the screen to download the Windows or Mac versions.
- After the installation, nothing happens which is strange. Go back out to My Media and launch it again to use it.
- Mac users on a UWEC computer: You will need administrative privileges to install it - instead, download it through self-service.
- Ensure you are recording the correct input. KalturaCapture can record your screen and webcam together. In the finished video, students can choose what to look at. If you have multiple screens/monitors, click the computer icon to choose the correct display.
To turn off the webcam or screen, click on it so it turns grey with a line through it. In the screenshot below, the screen would be recorded and the webcam is turned off.
- Check your microphone. You should see lines moving below the microphone icon. Click the drop down to choose a different microphone if necessary.
- When ready, click the red record button.
TIP: Do a test recording of a few seconds to ensure that the correct inputs are recording and your audio is adequate.
TIP: Make sure the recording toolbar is not visible on your screen, since it will become part of the recording which is distracting to viewers. You may need to minimize it.
- When done, click the white stop button.
- You will be asked if you are sure you want to stop the recording. Click Yes, Stop it to confirm.
- The next screen will allow you to preview the video and change the title if you wish. You can:
- Delete the file if you know you do not want it
- Save and Upload if you want to use it
- Save if you do not want to upload it at this time - for instance, if you do not have internet (it will remain in your Library)
- If you choose Save and Upload, the next screen will show the progress of your upload. The blue link may not work. To view the video, go to your My Media area of Kaltura.
- NOTE: It may take several minutes for the video to appear, then until it is done processing, a camera icon will show in the thumbnail. If the page does not refresh with an accurate thumbnail, click on the video to view it as a new page.
Share Your Recording
Kaltura videos can be shared through the rich content editor, which is available in discussions, assignments, announcements, and pages.
- Please see the instructions to Upload and Embed a Video into a Canvas Course to share your video with students. You can also share a video in an Announcement using the same features in the rich content editor - see #1 below for a screenshot.
- Note that if you would like students to share a Kaltura video with you in an assignment (the Canvas equivalent of a dropbox), you will need to select the option Text Entry as the Submission Type (vs file uploads, no submission, etc.)
You will most commonly share a Kaltura video in a discussion. Click Reply in the appropriate discussion and follow the steps below:
- Click the V for more external tools and choose My Media.
- Navigate to the correct video and click the blue Select button on the right side to embed it in your post.
- Click Post Reply on the bottom right when done.