The video embedded below shows how to download Kaltura Capture on Windows and create a recording. The text below explains how to create a recording; if necessary, read the instructions to download Kaltura Capture as well.
- Login to Canvas.
- Click Account in the global navigation on the left.
- Select My Media.
- If this is your first time using Kaltura within Canvas, you will need to click Authorize.
- Click Add New on the top right.
- Choose Kaltura Capture.
- If this is your first time using Kaltura Capture you will need to download it.
- This process is fairly straight-forward on personal computers. Click the button on the screen to download the Windows or Mac versions.
- After the installation, nothing happens which is disconcerting. Go back out to My Media and launch it again to use it.
- Mac users on a UWEC computer: You will need administrative privileges to install it - instead, download it through self-service.
- Ensure you are recording the correct input. Kaltura Capture can record your screen and webcam together. In the finished video, students can choose what to look at. If you have multiple screens/monitors, click the computer icon to choose the correct display.
To turn off the webcam or screen, click on it so it turns grey with a line through it. In the screenshot below, the screen would be recorded and the webcam is turned off.
NOTE: The webcam preview is not visible while recording. In other words, you do not see yourself while recording. Sometimes people don't realize they've recorded their webcam until they review the recording afterward. There is no way to delete the webcam recording.
TIP: Do a test recording of a few seconds to ensure that the correct inputs are recorded and your audio is adequate.
- Check your microphone. You should see lines moving below the microphone icon. Click the drop down to choose a different microphone if necessary.
- When ready, click the red record button.
TIP: Make sure the recording toolbar is not visible on your screen, since it will become part of the recording which is distracting to viewers. You may need to minimize it.
- When done, click the white stop button.
- You will be asked if you are sure you want to stop the recording. Click Yes, Stop it to confirm.
- The next screen will allow you to preview the video and change the title if you wish. You can:
- Delete the file if you know you do not want it
- Save and Upload if you want to use it
- Save if you do not want to upload it at this time - for instance, if you do not have internet (it will remain in your Library)
- If you choose Save and Upload, the next screen will show the progress of your upload. The blue link may not work. To view the video, go to your My Media area of Kaltura.
- NOTE: It may take several minutes for the video to appear, then until it is done processing, a camera icon will show in the thumbnail. If the page does not refresh with an accurate thumbnail, click on the video to view it as a new page.
- Share your recording - here are instructions.