Kaltura (My Media) is a video and audio streaming service, similar to YouTube, located within Canvas. Anyone at UWEC can use Kaltura, even if you are not creating or sharing a video for a specific class. Videos are only accessible by the creator unless shared via URL or within a Canvas course.
Note: Your Kaltura (My Media) account must be authorized and created. To do this, go into Canvas > Account > My Media and follow the appropriate prompts for setting up your My Media account.
Instructions & More Information
- How to upload and share videos with Kaltura
- Kaltura app for mobile devices
- Tips for student-created videos - Kaltura vs Canvas
- Kaltura/YouTube integration
- Interactive video quizzing
- How to add a Collaborator on a Kaltura Video
- Changing Ownership of a Video in Kaltura
- Deleting a Media Entry
- Collaborate Ultra recordings in Course Media
- Captioning a Kaltura Video (UW System KB)
- Editing a Caption File
- Kaltura/My Media Retention Process
Record with Kaltura
Record Yourself Speaking
- Kaltura has a new Webcam Recorder option under Add New. No download needed!
- Canvas has a similar feature, except it only stores the video in Canvas (instructions for students / instructions for instructors). This often works well for student video introductions or other quick recordings that would not be reused. It can take a long time to process, so if your video is more than a few minutes long you may want to use the Kaltura Webcam Recorder instead.
- NOTE: If you recorded using the Canvas media tools, you can still download a copy of the recording to your computer and upload it to Kaltura My Media.
Record Computer Screen
- Kaltura Capture is Kaltura My Media's recording tool that you can use to record your webcam, screen, or both. Review how to Install KalturaCapture - Windows & Mac and Record with KalturaCapture for more information.
Record PowerPoint with Audio
- It is usually best to record the audio within PPT's Record Slideshow feature, then export it as an mp4 since PPT records audio per slide, making it easy to re-record a slide if you make a mistake. This works well on both Windows and Mac.
- Review the recording audio in PowerPoint instructions for detailed instructions.
Additional Kaltura Features
Edit Kaltura Videos
- After uploading a video to Kaltura My Media, minor editing like trimming part of the video can be done. Although not extensive, the editing features are easy to use for small changes. To learn more, watch the Kaltura Editing Overview video.