Kaltura "My Media" is a video and audio streaming service, similar to YouTube, located within Canvas. Anyone at UWEC can use Kaltura, even if you are not creating or sharing a video for a specific class. Videos are only accessible by the creator unless shared via URL or within a Canvas course.
Instructions & More Information
- How to upload and share videos with Kaltura
- Kaltura app for mobile devices
- Tips for student-created videos - Kaltura vs Canvas
- Kaltura/YouTube integration
- Interactive video quizzing
- Kaltura video transition from D2L
Record with Kaltura
Record Yourself Speaking
- Kaltura has a new Webcam Recorder option under Add New. No download needed! Here are Webcam Recorder instructions from UW-Madison.
- Canvas has a similar feature, except it only stores the video in Canvas (instructions for students / instructions for instructors). This often works well for student video introductions or other quick recordings that would not be reused. It can take a long time to process, so if your video is more than a few minutes long you may want to use the Kaltura Webcam Recorder instead.
Record Computer Screen
- Kaltura Capture: This is Kaltura's new recording tool. More information: Install KalturaCapture - Windows & Mac / Record with KalturaCapture.
Record PowerPoint with Audio
- It is usually best to record the audio within PPT's Record Slideshow feature, then export it as an mp4 since PPT records audio per slide, making it easy to re-record a slide if you make a mistake. This works well on both Windows and Mac. Here are instructions.
Additional Kaltura Features
- Users are able to order automatic captions to your Kaltura videos for viewers to enable as they watch. Once you order the automatic captions for you video(s), you can then edit these for accuracy. Many videos get at least 80% or more captions correct, but you cannot rely on the automatic captions to be completely accurate. Captions should e reviewed and edited for accuracy. Refer to the UW System information on adding and editing your video captions.
Edit Kaltura Videos
- After uploading a video to Kaltura, minor editing like trimming part of the video can be done. The editing features are not extensive but easy to use for small changes. To learn more, watch the Kaltura Editing Overview video.