Kaltura My Media is a video and audio streaming service, like YouTube, which is accessible via Canvas. It is best for instructors to use Kaltura for their videos, but students may be able to just use Canvas (more information for students). Anyone at UWEC can use Kaltura, even if you are not creating or sharing a video for a specific class.
Since audio files are usually much smaller than video files, either Kaltura or Canvas can be used to store them. However, if an instructor is using a large number of audio files in multiple classes, Kaltura would be recommended since the same file can be embedded in multiple places, reducing the overall storage that file consumes.
- How to upload and share videos with Kaltura
- Kaltura/YouTube Integration
- Interactive Video Quizzing
- Kaltura video transition from D2L
Recording & Editing with Kaltura:
Please note that it is possible to record short webcam videos or audio files right in Canvas, without using Kaltura (instructions for students / instructions for instructors). Media files can be uploaded directly to Canvas if under 500 MB. However, it is recommended that instructors upload videos to Kaltura so they can easily be captioned if a student with a disability needs captioning. Canvas is often a good option for student-created work though.
- Kaltura Capture: This is Kaltura's new recording tool. More information: Install KalturaCapture - Windows & Mac / Record with KalturaCapture.
- CaptureSpace Lite (legacy): Was removed in June 1, 2019 when Kaltura Capture replaced it.
- If the application is accidentally used, it will still record but won't upload. Here are instructions on how to locate the recording which can then be uploaded to the new Kaltura.
- Editing: Kaltura's video editor allows for editing out mistakes or creating clips.
Want Help? Contact the LTS Help Desk. Canvas Help does not support Kaltura.
|Kaltura My Media||Direct Upload to Canvas|
|Can accommodate large files up to 2 GB||Files need to be less than 500 MB|
|Can share URLs outside of Canvas||Videos are only in Canvas|
|Easy to share videos with other instructors as a co-publisher||No sharing options outside of Canvas|
|Built-in recording tool can record the screen, webcam, audio, or a combination||Can record webcam and audio, but no screen recording|
|Can create clips from videos and do basic editing||No editing features|
|Automatic transcription available to create captions & staff can have videos professionally captioned easily||No moderated captioning features|
|UWEC LTS Help Desk Support||24/7/365 Technical Support from Canvas