Machine captions are automatically generated for any new videos that are saved to Kaltura after December 1, 2021. These automatic captions will appear as “English (Autocaption)” signifying to your viewer that although captions exist, they have not been made accurate through caption editing.
This label typically indicates what language the caption is in and whether the caption is machine-generated or not. Sometimes a video owner would like to change that caption label to make it more accurate or descriptive.
How to change the name to a caption file:
- Go into My Media through the Canvas Account icon. Once in My Media, navigate to the video that you wish to change.
- To access the caption file, click on the pencil icon to the right of the video name.
- Select the “Captions” tab found underneath the video player and navigate to the pencil icon relating to the caption that you want to rename.
This will allow you to edit the percentage of accuracy of the video captions and the name of the file.
- Once the edit button is selected, the “Edit Captions” popup will appear. The language and accuracy dropdown menus will allow you to make changes. If you click on the label box, you are also able to delete, add, or change the name of the file.
- Hit “Save” when all changes have been completed.
Please Note: To see the new caption label, refresh the My Media Page, then play the video. Clicking the “CC” button will display the new caption label.
If the video is embedded within a Canvas course, these changes should appear within your video player automatically. If the video is already on your screen, please refresh the page to ensure the changes have been made.