NOTE: If you know where in your Canvas course you would like to share a video, view the instructions to upload and embed a video into a Canvas course to save a few steps.
- Login to Canvas
- Click Account in the global navigation on the left
- Select My Media
- If this is your first time using Kaltura within Canvas, you will need to click Authorize
- Click Add New on the top right
- Select Media Upload
- On the Upload Media page, click Choose a file to upload
- Find the file on your computer and double click the file or click Open to upload
- The blue progress bar will turn green when the upload is complete. Large files may take minutes to upload
- Ensure the name is accurate. The name of the uploaded file will be used by default
- (Optional) If you would like to share your video with other instructors, you can add them as collaborators. See the instructions on adding collaborators for more information
- Select the box to agree to the terms and conditions
- To share your Kaltura video with students, view the instructions to embed a Kaltura video into a page in Canvas.
NOTE: Privacy settings
- Videos are Private by default. Private videos can be shared with students in Canvas courses through the Kaltura integration (for more information, see the instructions on sharing Kaltura videos in Canvas).
- The “Published” option allows instructors to publish their videos to the media gallery of a particular course. However, we do not typically recommend the media gallery because it provides a repository of all Kaltura videos for a course in one spot without context.
- Instead, it is more helpful to students to embed your videos in the appropriate module of your course. You do not need to publish your video to the media gallery to embed it.
- Here are instructions on how to share a URL.