Skip to main content
Learn more about UWEC's COVID-19 response.
SharePoint (Insider): Site Collection Creation (admin only)
Log Into Office 365 Portal Admin
- Navigate to https://portal.office.com.
- Log in as O365 account.
- Click the Admin app.
- Click the Admin icon in the left navigation menu.
- Click SharePoint. This will open the SharePoint admin center page.
Create a New Site Collection
- Click the New dropdown menu.
- Click Private Site Collection.
- Type the intended Title and Web Site Address.
- Select the Publishing > Publishing Portal template.
- Select (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US and Canada) from the Time Zone dropdown menu.
- Type O365admin2 in the Administrator field.
- Type 10 in the Storage Quota field.
- Click OK.
NOTE: It will take about 10 minutes for the site collection to complete setup.
Add Site Collection Permissions
- Navigate to the SharePoint admin center page.
- Add insider.sitecollectionadmins as a Site Collection Administrator (do no remove O365ADMIN2).
- Set sharing to Don't allow sharing outside your organization.
- Set sharing sub-option to Turn off sharing for non-owners on all sites in this site collection.
- Navigate to the newly created SharePoint site collection.
- Grant Everyone except external users domain group with Read permissions (if appropriate).
- Change site collection owner SharePoint group's permission to Design from Full Control.
- Update the Contribute permissions level to include Add and Customize Pages.
- Update the Design permissions level to include Enumerate Permissions.
- Remove access requests.
- Apply the following alternate CSS: /UWEC/CSS/uwec.css.
- Change site logo to /UWEC/images/SPLogo.png.
- Set the following page layout and site template settings:
- Restrict available subsites to only the Publishing Site (All) template.
- Restrict available page layouts to only the (Welcome Page) Blank Web Part page page layouts.
- Set New Page Default Settings to (Welcome Page) Blank Web Part page.
- Set the global and current navigation menus to Structural Navigation: Display the navigation below the current site and remove Show Subsites selections in checkboxes.
- Update the following site feature:
- Activate - Team Collaboration Lists
- Update the following site collection features:
- Deactivate - Limited-access user permission lockdown mode
- Activate - SharePoint Server Enterprise Site Collection features
- Activate - SharePoint Server Standard Site Collection features
- Set the following site collection homepage settings:
- Add appropriate title to site collection homepage.
- Remove OOTB web parts and content on site collection homepage.
- Grant site-level permissions.
- Set versioning in the Documents library to major versions only and remove required check-out.
- Set versioning in the Images library to major versions only and remove required check-out.
Site Tracking and Navigation
- Add the site collection as an option in site collection tracking list.
- Add the site collection to the site tracking list.
- Add all of the site collection's subsites to the site tracking list.
- Add new site collections to the A-Z list.