Skip to main content
Important COVID-19 updates   READ MORE »

Guide to the Pinter Hunting Camps Records, 1939-2014

Last updated

Overview of the Collection

Repository:
Special Collections & Archives
McIntyre Library
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
P.O. Box 4004
105 Garfield Ave.
Eau Claire, WI 54702-4004
(715)-836-2739
https://library.uwec.edu/archives/

Reference Code: USGZE UHC360

Accession Number: 17-017

Collection Number: University Historical Collection 360

Creator: John Pinter (Eau Claire, Wis.)

Title: Pinter Hunting Camp Records, 1939-2014

Dates: 1939-2014, bulk 1990-2005

Quantity: 2.2 linear feet (1 half archives box, 2 flat boxes)

Location of Collection: A10/3b

Languages: Collection materials are in English.

Summary: This collection contains materials that pertain to the Pinter Hunting Camp that has been around the Eau Claire area since 1939. The materials date from 1939-2014. The contents include photographs, a log book, a few yearly camp newsletters, maps, hunting gear, a newspaper article, signs and flyers from the camp, and a letter from the donor, John Pinter.

Biographical/Historical Note

The property of the Pinter hunting camp is located in the township of Bridge Creek. The town consists mostly of farms, local businesses, and state and county parks and recreational areas. As of 2010, the population was 1,900. The town is located in Eau Claire County, which was founded in 1856. As of 2013, the county has a population of 101,438.

The original owner of the camp, Elmer C. Pinter, was a dentist from the Milwaukee area. He received his schooling from Marquette Dental School where he graduated in 1928[1]. He had his own office by 1930 and retired in 1975. He died February 9th, 1992.

In 1939 Elmer “Doc” C. Pinter (also known as Mr. Coon Gut) purchased forty acres of land for $600.00. Eventually, the Pinter family expanded their camp to the 160 acres that now comprises the camp. The property can be found between Coon Gut Creek and the Eau Claire River, with access on a single road off County Road G, and is surrounded by county owned forests. The family maintained the land by creating firebreaks to prevent large forest fires on the property, as well as a reforestation project where they removed underbrush and planted Norway Pines.

The camp was as an area for the Pinter family to go hunting during the hunting season, as well as a place to spend summers. In May of 1991, the camp was sold to a core group of hunters that frequented camp with the Pinter family. These hunters became co-owners of what became Coon Gut Inc. This decision was made so that the property could continue to be maintained and preserved. However, over time, the owners were unable to continue with the upkeep of the property and the camp was put up for sale. In the year 2014, the land was bought by Eau Claire County where they plan to incorporate it into the surrounding county forest area.

[1] Prestor, Richard Klatte. Images of America: Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Arcadia Publishing, 2000

Content Description

The materials from the Pinter Hunting Camp date from approximately 1939-2014 with the bulk of the materials ranging from 1990-2005. The collection documents the history of the Pinter Hunting Camp from the day the land was bought in 1939 to the mid-2010s when the land was sold to Eau Claire County. It contains photographs (dates ranging from 1949-1995), a log book (1940-2012), a few of the yearly newsletters (1994-1997), maps (1948-1976), deer hunting gear, camp signs, postcards, and camp flyers.

Administrative Information

Acquisition Information: Donated to the Special Collections & Archives, University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire by John Pinter in February, 2017.

Access Restrictions: Collection is open to the public.

Use Restrictions: Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. Copyright not owned by the University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire. Copyright of the collection is owned by the donor; therefore, permission to publish photos and excerpts from the collection for monograph projects requires the consent of the donor or the donor’s family. All copyright transfers to the repository in January of 2042.

Preferred Citation: Pinter Hunting Camp Records, 1939-2014. UHC360 Special Collections & Archives. McIntyre Library. University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire. Eau Claire, WI.

Processing Note: Processed by Rachel Farnham in April 2017.

Arrangement: Flat.

OCLC #: 1127827206

Subjects

Personal Names: Pinter, John; Pinter, Elmer C.

Corporate Names: Coon Gut, Inc.

Subject Terms: Hunting camps; Lodges; Hunting; Deer hunting; White-tailed deer hunting; Conservation of forests; Forest preservation; Trees—Planting;

Geographical Terms: Coon Gut Creek (Eau Claire County, Wis.); Eau Claire River (Eau Claire County, Wis.); Bridgecreek Township (Eau Claire County, Wis.)

Detailed List of Contents

Dates: 1939-2014, bulk 1990-2005

Extent: 2.2 linear feet (1 half archives box, 2 flat boxes)

Container

Contents

Dates

Box 1/Folder 1

Newspaper Article; EC County Rec. Plan

2014-2016

1/2

John Pinter Correspondence

undated

1/3

Maps

1948-1976

1/4

General hunting information

1996-2000

1/5

Camp flyers and postcards

Circa 1997

1/6

Camp signs

undated

1/7

Camp newsletters

1994-1997

1/8

False/Prank DNR letters

1994

2/1

Log book

Latrine book

1940-2012

1933-1995

3/1

Hunting gear, 2 hats, 1 facemask, 1 shirt, 1 jacket with permit, 1 deer call

undated

UHC360/Folder 1

(digital)

Photos:

Photobook 1

1949-1953

UHC360/Folder 2

(digital)

Photos:

Photobook 2

1993-1995

UHC360/Folder 3

(digital)

Photos:

Loose Photos

Circa 1995

Was this article helpful? Yes No

View / Print PDF