Title: Farmers and Merchants Bank (Cochrane, Wis.) Records
Inclusive Dates: 1908-1942
Creator: Farmers and Merchants Bank (Cochrane, Wis.)
Call Number: Eau Claire Mss P
Quantity: 0.4 c.f. (1 archives box)
Repository: Housed at the Area Research Center, William D. McIntyre Library, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire; owned by the Wisconsin Historical Society, Library-Archives Division
Archival Locations: UW-Eau Claire McIntyre Library / Eau Claire Area Research Ctr.
Abstract: Records of a bank organized in 1902 whose assets were liquidated in 1940 due to an inability to collect a sufficient percentage of its outstanding mortgages. The collection consists of minutes of the board of directors and stockholders, 1927-1942; and a record of capital stock issued and transferred, 1908-1940.
Search Terms/Subject Terms
- Banks and banking—Wisconsin—Cochrane
- Cochrane (Wis.)—Commerce
The Farmers and Merchants Bank, Cochrane, Wisconsin, was organized pursuant to the state banking laws in 1902. The bank was reorganized in 1929 by the order of the State Banking Commission, although it finally failed in 1933. With the aid of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation and its purchase of one-third of the bank's capital stock, the Cochrane bank was able to reopen. Finally, in 1940, the assets of the bank had to be liquidated due to its inability to collect a sufficient percentage on its outstanding mortgages. By order of the State Banking Commission, the remaining assets were sold and the liabilities were assumed by the more successful banks in the area of Cochrane.
Presented by Delbert C. Helmueller, Ellsworth, Wisconsin, June, 1966.
Processed by Jack T. Ericson, February 24, 1967.
|Minutes of the board of directors and stockholders|
|Box/Volume 1/1||1927 Jan.-1934 March|
|Box 1||1935 Jan.-1942 Jan.|
|Box/Volume 1/2||Capital stock certificates issued and transferred, 1908 Jan.-1940 Oct.|