Overview of the Collection
Special Collections & Archives
University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire
P.O. Box 4004
105 Garfield Ave.
Eau Claire, WI 54702 – 4004
Reference Code: USGZE UHC333
Accession Number: 10-008, 12-013
Collection Number: University Historical Collection 333
Creators: Christ Church Cathedral (Eau Claire, Wis.)
Title: Episcopal Church Diocese of Eau Claire Records, 18582008
Quantity: 1.6 linear feet (1flat box)
Location of Collection: A5/1f
Languages: Collection materials are in English.
Summary: Study includes maps and written summaries of a parish self-study and an Eau Claire religious census. Also included are a council constitution and a record of committee chairmen and histories of Christ Church in Eau Claire and the Eau Claire Diocese.
Biographical / Historical Note
Christ Church Cathedral traces its roots back to 1858, when Episcopalians in the Eau Claire area began to worship formally at various locations in the community. The parish’s first church was built in 1874, while the current church was constructed from 1910-1916, with a chapel added in 1935. In 1929, Christ Church became the seat of the Diocese of Eau Claire.
The Episcopal Diocese of Eau Claire was established early in 1929. The first resident bishop was the Rt. Rev. Frank E. Wilson, rector of Christ Church, Eau Claire, where he was consecrated on May 1, 1929. The diocese comprises of some 35 parishes and missions in northwestern Wisconsin.
The Study of the Parish Cathedral consists of eight maps and two written summaries of findings. The maps, completed in 1950, appear to have been prepared in anticipation of building a parish house. They depict population growth in Eau Claire and parish growth, zoning districts in the parish, locations of other churches in Eau Claire, locations of schools, bus routes, neighborhood concentrations of baptized members and new parishioners, and the proposed locations for the parish house. The parish never built the parish house. Rather, it built an administrative and classroom building next door to the church in the mid1950s
The religious census reports, dated 1955, provide summary data on the religious affiliations and church membership of over 10,000 Eau Claire households. A list of names of households indicating “no church preference” supplements the census report. Remarks of those surveyed and number of children at the household was noted on the list. It is unclear whether this census of religion was undertaken only by Christ Church Cathedral, or whether other local churches were involved.
There is a list of Committees and Chairmen from 1949, as well as an Eau Claire County Council Constitution. The Eau Claire Diocese History includes two booklets ranging in dates from 1928-1978 with Diocese History. The diocese contains around 35 churches. There also two Christ Church of Eau Claire histories, dated 1858 – 1958 and 2008.
Acquisition Information: Donated to Special Collections & Archives in August 2009 by Christ Church Cathedral, Eau Claire, Wis. Additional items donated in September 2011 by Christ Church Cathedral, Eau Claire, Wis.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to the public.
Use Restrictions: Researchers are responsible for using in accordance with 17 U.S.C. Copyright owned by the University of Wisconsin--Eau Claire.
Preferred Citation: Episcopal Church Diocese of Eau Claire Records, 1858 – 2008. UHC333 Special Collections & Archives. McIntyre Library. University of Wisconsin--Eau Claire. Eau Claire, WI.
Processing Note: Processed by Colleen McFarland in August 2009. Addition processed by Jennifer Cook in October 2011.
OCLC #: 501175099
Christ Church Cathedral (Eau Claire, Wis.)
Episcopal Church Diocese (Eau Claire, Wis.)
Christianity – Wisconsin – Eau Claire
Episcopal Church – Wisconsin – Eau Claire
Detailed List of Contents
Constitution of EC County Council and Committees and Chairmen
The Eau Claire Bicentennial Calendar
Eau Claire Diocese History
History of Christ Church Cathedral
1858-1958 & 2008
A Study of the Cathedral Parish of Christ Church, Eau Claire, WI