This document talks about requesting technology, the availability of tools in the classroom, and other instructional technology.
Webcams in the Classroom
- There will be a webcam in each classroom. If you are teaching in a lab space, please check the space to see if a camera is present. If a camera is needed, please contact the Help Desk to request a consultation about options for the lab space.
- If you are teaching remotely and need a webcam, please refer to LTS Remote Services page.
- In the large classrooms that had microphones installed previously, lapel microphones are available. If you are teaching in a different classroom, you can request a handheld microphone to be set up in your classroom. We do not have enough microphones to provide individuals with their own personal microphone. Instead, microphones will be cleaned and shared to service all of the campus. You may not need a microphone at all. We encourage to test speaking with a mask in the classroom. Through testing, we were able to hear the instructor with minimal muffling of the voice.
- Please contact the Help Desk to request a microphone.
HoverCam Document Cameras
Document cameras are a great way to share materials with your students in a classroom or online setting. HoverCams, found in many of the classrooms, can be used to share documents through the Crestron system found in a classroom, stream documents through a web conferencing program, or share documents within a recording. HoverCams can also be available upon request for your office or personal use.
Please contact the Help Desk or submit a Help Desk ticket to request this device.
Read the Comparison Chart to learn about the similarities and differences between Teams and Zoom.
Teach with Zoom
- Zoom Account and Canvas Integration
- Installing Zoom KB Article
- Complete Zoom KB Article for other Zoom resources, UWEC images for virtual backgrounds, and a FAQ.
- Student Drop-in Hours
- Zoom HoverCam
- Student View PowerPoint slides to copy into your presentations
- Download Zoom Recordings
- Share Screen, Content, Whiteboard, or Second Camera
- Breakout Rooms
- Breakout Rooms Options (UWEC guide)
- Zoom Settings
- Virtual Background
- Cloud Recording to view online.
- Local Recording to save to your computer. Upload to Kaltura or OneDrive for long-term storage.
Communicate with Students
- Encourage students to install the Zoom Client to have full use of all of the Zoom features like polling, annotations, and virtual backgrounds.
- Refer to Student Zoom and Canvas Integration to join from Canvas and view recordings.
- Encourage students to login to Zoom with their UWEC credentials to help with attendance reporting, pre-set breakout rooms, and to add them as an alternative host.
- Refer to Zoom Account and Schedule Sessions - Students for instructions to create their own sessions.