With the need for social distancing and live streaming in the classroom, technology is different. This document talks about requesting technology, the availability of tools in the classroom, and other instructional technology.
Webcams in the Classroom
- There will be a webcam in each classroom. If you are teaching in a lab space, please check the space to see if a camera is present. If a camera is needed, please contact the Help Desk to request a consultation about options for the lab space.
- If you are teaching remotely and need a webcam, please refer to LTS Remote Services page.
- In the large classrooms that had microphones installed previously, lapel microphones are available. If you are teaching in a different classroom, you can request a handheld microphone to be set up in your classroom. We do not have enough microphones to provide individuals with their own personal microphone. Instead, microphones will be cleaned and shared to service all of the campus. You may not need a microphone at all. We encourage to test speaking with a mask in the classroom. Through testing this summer, we were able to hear the instructor with minimal muffling of the voice.
- Request microphone
HoverCam Document Cameras
- If you are not live streaming or recording your live classroom, you can use the whiteboards, and document cameras like you usually do. If you are live streaming or recording, you can still use the whiteboard, but space is limited to the areas that are picked up by the camera. If you require a document camera that can be streamed or recorded, you can request a special document camera. Since we have a limited number, we are not able to provide personal document cameras for this purpose. These resources are shared across campus.
- Request Document Camera (HoverCam)
- Hovercam_Flex 11 Document Camera.pdf
- Collaborate Ultra HoverCam Microphone and Video Settings.pdf
Web Conferencing Tools
Read the Comparison Chart to learn about the similarities and differences between Collaborate Ultra, Teams, and Zoom.
Teach with Collaborate Ultra
Collaborate Ultra is integrated with Canvas. We've created documentation for you.
- Collaborate Ultra Guide
- Collaborate Ultra Quick Start Share Files
- Collaborate Ultra Quick Start Share Screen
- HoverCam Microphone and Video Settings
- Collaborate Ultra Quick Start for Students
- Refer to the Collaborate Ultra page in the Canvas for Educators course for more information and videos. Please use the Self-Enroll link if you are not already enrolled.
- Watch an overview video for information about the tool.
Collaborate Ultra Recording Storage
Because of the huge increase in CU recordings and to prevent expensive storage overcharges, the UW-System implemented a new process to copy most recordings to My Media (Kaltura). We did not have input on this process and are sorry for the timing and the way the process was and continues to be applied.
If you are enrolled in a Canvas course as a Teacher AND CU recordings have been set to Allow Public Access (default), then all recordings were or will be copied into My Media as a group video. This means you will see class lectures/recordings, student presentations, or co-instructor’s videos appear in your My Media.
CU recordings will remain in My Media indefinitely unless they have not been played within 18 months. All My Media videos with no views in 18 months will be deleted. More will be shared about media retention in 2021.
- CU recordings created in 2020 that were set to Allow Public Access have had a recording copy made to the instructor’s My Media and deleted from Collaborate Ultra.
- Videos created after 1/4/2021 will be copied nightly starting at 11pm and will be deleted from CU within 45 days of creation.
- Please watch the CU Recording Storage Update video for additional information
- Updated Collaborate Ultra Media Management Process
- Using the New Course Media Tools in Canvas for Collaborate Ultra Recordings
- Media Management Knowledge Base Article (UW-System guide) for more specific details.
- Changing Ownership of a Video (UW-EC guide) to transfer the video from a Kaltura group to yourself or another user.
- Deleting a Kaltura Video (UW-EC guide) to delete a video from My Media.
- Embed Previously Uploaded Media in Canvas (UW-EC guide) for instructions to embed a previously uploaded video in Canvas.
Teach with Zoom
- Zoom Account and Canvas Integration
- Installing Zoom KB Article
- Complete Zoom KB Article for other Zoom resources, UWEC images for virtual backgrounds, and a FAQ.
- Zoom HoverCam
- Student View PowerPoint slides to copy into your presentations
- Download Zoom Recordings
- Share Screen, Content, Whiteboard, or Second Camera
- Breakout Rooms
- Breakout Rooms Options (UWEC guide)
- Zoom Settings
- Virtual Background
- Cloud Recording to view online.
- Local Recording to save to your computer. Upload to Kaltura or OneDrive for long-term storage.
Communicate with Students
- Encourage students to install the Zoom Client to have full use of all of the Zoom features like polling, annotations, and virtual backgrounds.
- Refer to Student Zoom and Canvas Integration to join from Canvas and view recordings.
- Encourage students to login to Zoom with their UWEC credentials to help with attendance reporting, pre-set breakout rooms, and to add them as an alternative host.