With the need for social distancing and live streaming in the classroom, technology is different. This document talks about requesting technology, the availability of tools in the classroom, and other instructional technology.
Webcams in the Classroom
- There will be a webcam in each classroom. If you are teaching in a lab space, please check the space to see if a camera is present. If a camera is needed, please contact the Help Desk to request a consultation about options for the lab space.
- If you are teaching remotely and need a webcam, please refer to LTS Remote Services page.
- In the large classrooms that had microphones installed previously, lapel microphones are available. If you are teaching in a different classroom, you can request a handheld microphone to be set up in your classroom. We do not have enough microphones to provide individuals with their own personal microphone. Instead, microphones will be cleaned and shared to service all of the campus. You may not need a microphone at all. We encourage to test speaking with a mask in the classroom. Through testing this summer, we were able to hear the instructor with minimal muffling of the voice.
- Request microphone
- If you are not live streaming or recording your live classroom, you can use the whiteboards, and document cameras like you usually do. If you are live streaming or recording, you can still use the whiteboard, but space is limited to the areas that are picked up by the camera. If you require a document camera that can be streamed or recorded, you can request a special document camera. Since we have a limited number, we are not able to provide personal document cameras for this purpose. These resources are shared across campus.
- Request Document Camera (HoverCam)
Web Conferencing Tools
Read the Comparison Chart to learn about the similarities and differences between Collaborate Ultra, Teams, and Zoom.
Teach with Collaborate Ultra
Collaborate Ultra is integrated with Canvas. We've created documentation for you.
- Collaborate Ultra Guide
- Collaborate Ultra Quick Start Share Files
- Collaborate Ultra Quick Start Share Screen
- HoverCam Microphone and Video Settings
- Collaborate Ultra Quick Start for Students
- Refer to the Collaborate Ultra page in the Canvas for Educators course for more information and videos. Please use the Self-Enroll link if you are not already enrolled.
- Watch this video for information about the tool. http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/7238f
Teach with Zoom
- Refer to the Zoom KB article for how to access and download Zoom.
- Zoom HoverCam
- Zoom Account and Canvas Integration