With the need for social distancing and live streaming in the classroom, technology is different for this fall. This document talks about requesting technology and the availability of tools in the classroom.
Webcams in the Classroom
- There will be a webcam in each classroom. If you are teaching in a lab space, please check the space to see if a camera is present. If a camera is needed, please contact the Help Desk to request a consultation about options for the lab space.
- If you are teaching remotely and need a webcam, please refer to LTS Remote Services page.
- In the large classrooms that had microphones installed previously, lapel microphones are available. If you are teaching in a different classroom, you can request a handheld microphone to be set up in your classroom. We do not have enough microphones to provide individuals with their own personal microphone. Instead, microphones will be cleaned and shared to service all of the campus. You may not need a microphone at all. We encourage to test speaking with a mask in the classroom. Through testing this summer, we were able to hear the instructor with minimal muffling of the voice.
- Request microphones
Coming the week of September 14
- If you are not live streaming or recording your live classroom, you will be able to use the whiteboards, and document cameras like you usually do. If you are live streaming or recording, you are still able to use the whiteboard, but space is limited to the areas that are picked up by the camera. If you require a document camera that can be streamed or recorded, you will need to request a special document camera. Since we have a limited number, we will not be able to provide personal document cameras for this purpose. These resources will be shared across campus.
- Request Document Camera
Web Conferencing Tools
- Collaborate Ultra is integrated with Canvas and is available.
- Check out this video for information about the tool. http://www.kaltura.com/tiny/7238f
- A Zoom contract is being pursued with the hopes of having Zoom at the beginning of the Fall semester.