UW-Eau Claire – Eau Claire Campus
Academics, College of Arts + Sciences, Mathematics
Full Time, Faculty/Instructional
- Official Title: Assistant Professor
- Job ID: #mathjobs.org-1
- Date Posted:
- Apply by: | To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by deadline. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
Mathematics: Assistant Professor
Two tenure-track faculty positions at the rank of assistant professor are available in the Department of Mathematics in the College of Arts and Sciences. This appointment carries an initial two-year probationary appointment beginning with the 2020/2021 academic year, August 24, 2020.
Teach undergraduate mathematics courses for both majors and non-majors as assigned, typically three courses per semester with two preparations, and participate in research and other scholarly activities. Other responsibilities include service to the Department, the University, the community, and the profession.
- Earned doctorate in the area of mathematics, applied mathematics, statistics, actuarial science, or related field required by August 24, 2020. In lieu of such a doctorate, Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries will be considered.
- The successful applicant will (i) present evidence of teaching excellence at the undergraduate level, (ii) demonstrate an ability to teach a wide range of mathematics courses, both for majors and non-majors, and (iii) present evidence of being able to contribute to the actuarial science major or to the statistics/applied emphasis of the liberal arts mathematics major.
- The successful applicant will also present evidence of the potential to establish a scholarship program which can engage students in the high impact practice of undergraduate research, or will have potential to establish a publication record in actuarial science research journals recognized by professional actuarial societies.
- The successful applicant will also demonstrate commitment to equity and inclusiveness in teaching.
The Department is especially interested in applicants who bring diverse perspectives to the University, and in those who may be especially effective in mentoring students who are members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in the discipline.
DEPARTMENT: The Department of Mathematics has approximately 300 majors in either actuarial science, liberal arts mathematics, or mathematics education. In addition to teaching courses for its majors, the Department also teaches a wide range of courses for non-majors, including calculus preparation courses, statistics, mathematics courses for elementary education majors, and other liberal education mathematics courses for non-majors. The Department also offers an online Master of Science in Data Science degree, enrolling over 100 graduate students.
Submit application materials:
Please be sure to complete all required fields and include all required PDF documents before submitting your application. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit or attach any PDF application materials. Files must be complete to be considered. Please include the following documents in PDF format only:
A completed application consisting of a letter of interest addressing the stated qualifications of the position, curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching experience and philosophy, a statement of research accomplishments and plans, and at least three current letters of recommendation, at least one of which addresses potential to be effective in teaching undergraduate mathematics, should be submitted electronically to http://www.mathjobs.org/jobs.
Please direct requests for additional information to:
Alex Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report. Also visit our Campus Security Authority(CSA) policy.
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The University reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Employment will require a background check. Employment will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding past conduct related to sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change in November 2021. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/.