UW-Eau Claire – Eau Claire Campus
Full Time, Administrative
- Official Title: Chief Communications Officer (Inst)
- Job ID: #19684
- Date Posted:
- Apply by: | To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by deadline. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
Assistant Chancellor of University Relations and Marketing
APPLICATIONS CONTINUE TO BE ACCEPTED
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire seeks a dynamic individual with proven leadership and communication skills to guide strategic direction for all university relations and marketing efforts. Reporting directly to the Chancellor, the Assistant Chancellor will oversee all aspects of the university’s recruitment and institutional marketing, as well as governmental, media and community relations. For this position, UW-Eau Claire is seeking candidates who have proven expertise in all facets of marketing, experience in managing student recruitment efforts for both undergraduate and graduate enrollment, a strong record of strategic communications, and deep experience forging relationships with a wide range of stakeholders from legislators to prospective students. We seek a savvy communicator able to lead a strong team in creating and implementing a mission-driven strategic vision.
The Assistant Chancellor of University Relations and Marketing is a cabinet-level administrator, serving on the Chancellor’s executive leadership team and representing the University to the UW System. As a colleague and partner with the executive team, the Assistant Chancellor works collaboratively to support the goals of the Chancellor, and divisions of Academic Affairs, Enrollment Management, Finance and Administration, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion, and Student Affairs.
- Provide strategic, operational and administrative leadership for a team that oversees all university marketing, branding and communications, for the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. This includes oversight of a 22-member Integrated Communications and Marketing team that includes writers, designers, social media coordinators, web content writers and marketing professionals as well as governmental relations, media relations, and community relations.
- Develop and nurture strong collegial partnerships with all divisions to advance student recruitment, retention and the strategic vision and goals of the University.
- Oversee the University’s websites, intranet and social media channels.
- Actively lead in fostering an inclusive and welcoming community that will enable faculty, staff and students to thrive.
- Represent the Chancellor and institution to the media and with community and legislative stakeholders.
- Provide strategic leadership to Integrated Marketing and Communications to communicate the reputation and value of the University across all channels.
- Expand collaboration with colleges, departments and units across the university to advance marketing and story-telling opportunities in support of the University’s mission and strategic goals.
- Develop a strategic vision and implementation plan for University Relations and Integrated Marketing and Communications that align with the University’s plans.
Planning and Assessment
- Create and implement strategic and purposeful marketing plans to support the enrollment goals of the University, as well as enhance positive external relations to advance the institution’s reputation.
- Benchmark and assess performance of marketing and communication efforts.
- Support the enrollment management goals of the University at all campuses by providing effective, strategic outreach and marketing to all key constituencies.
- Increase the visibility and reputation of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire through community engagement and media and legislative relations.
- Enhance the statewide and national profile of the University.
QUALIFICATIONS & DESIRED CHARACTERISTICS
The successful candidate will be an experienced higher education administrator, with the vision, energy, and interpersonal and leadership skills needed to engage the University in achieving ambitious goals. The successful candidate will have strong communication and media relations skills as well as demonstrated experience in implementing successful marketing campaigns across diverse channels. The Assistant Chancellor will have experience creating and leveraging websites and digital communication to target and reach key stakeholders. The Assistant Chancellor should be skilled at hiring, motivating and developing staff, fostering teamwork and managing change and will have:
- A passion for analytics and data-driven action.
- A high degree of skill in relationship-building and partnering.
- The ability to initiate and lead cross-divisional programs and projects.
- Experience budgeting for a complex organization and the ability to identify, diversify and expand revenue streams within a challenging public education environment.
- Commitment to equity, diversity and inclusivity demonstrated by leadership, active planning, allocation of resources, and accountability.
- An appreciation of UW-Eau Claire’s mission of excellence and inclusion, and an ability to communicate what makes the institution distinctive.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Senior level experience in communications and marketing with a successful record of accomplishment in leading marketing campaigns, meeting digital marketing goals, and managing media relationships.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Master's degree (or equivalent) or terminal degree from an accredited institution.
- Management experience, including supervisory and fiscal oversight.
- Experience in Higher Education
- Experience in higher education recruitment marketing.
- Experience with websites, social media and digital communication networks in support of strategic institutional goals.
- Experience leading media and marketing campaigns that enhance organizational reputation.
UNIVERSITY and the EAU CLAIRE COMMUNITY
The University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is a leader for academic excellence, undergraduate research and high-impact practices in the University of Wisconsin System. Consistently ranked among the top 10 public Midwestern universities, UW-Eau Claire is home to about 10,000 students, who are drawn to Wisconsin’s most beautiful campus. Innovation, collaboration, leadership, diversity and inclusion, and sustainable stewardship are core values at UW-Eau Claire. About 90% of students participate in at least one high-impact practice such as student-faculty research. UWEC students undertake more than 100,000 hours of community service each academic year.
UW-Eau Claire has approximately 1,400 faculty and staff, with a faculty/student ratio of 1:19. Groundbreaking community partnerships in manufacturing, business, health care and the cultural arts produce myriad opportunities for faculty scholarship/creative activities and student internships. UW-Eau Claire is one of the only universities in the world to have a master collaborative research agreement with Mayo Clinic Health System.
Eau Claire is western Wisconsin’s largest city, home to nearly 70,000 residents who live, work and play in the area situated at the confluence of the Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers. The Eau Claire metropolitan area of approximately 173,000 people is 90 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. Eau Claire is known for its beautiful parks and trails, small-town neighborhoods, excellent schools, vibrant arts scene, diverse local food culture, and abundant recreational opportunities. UW-Eau Claire’s campus is within walking distance of two popular shopping districts that feature coffee shops, art galleries and live music venues.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications are submitted electronically. Please follow instructions found on the following UW-Eau Claire Web site: https://www.uwec.edu/job-postings/. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the Assistant Chancellor of University Relations and Marketing position (Job ID # 19684) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vita/Resume
- Unofficial undergraduate or graduate school transcript
- Names and contact information for three references.
Please direct requests for additional information to:
Dean Aleksander Sternfeld-Dunn, Search Committee Chair Sternfab@uwec.edu
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Employment will require a background check. Employment will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding past conduct related to sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report. Also visit our Campus Security Authority(CSA) policy.
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.