Mathematics: Department Assistant
UW-Eau Claire – Eau Claire Campus
Full Time, Staff
- Official Title: Department Assistant
- Job ID: #19359
- Date Posted:
- Apply by: | To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by deadline. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
Mathematics: Department Assistant
POSITION: A full-time university staff position is available in the Department of Mathematics beginning in February 2023. The official title for this assignment is Department Assistant. This is an expected-to-continue assignment which requires a six-month probationary period. The expected hourly hiring salary will be $17/hour.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Operational knowledge of spreadsheets, excellent written and verbal communication skills, excellent customer service skills, and ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse groups and individuals.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: An associate’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is preferred. Prior administrative experience in an academic office setting, experience with event planning; experience in hiring and payroll for student employees, knowledge of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), prior experience with UW System and UWEC administrative systems procedures, and demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
DUTIES: Specific duties include
- Provide administrative support for enrollment in mathematics courses, including building and proofreading course schedules; assist the Chair with troubleshooting obstacles such as prerequisites and overload seats.
- Implement and maintain organizational systems to support Department events related to admissions and institutional branding with teachers and students in regional high schools, such as the annual High School Math Meet, Sonya Kovalevsky Day, and Math Retreat.
- Monitor department budget and expenses; participate in oversight of student payroll for undergraduate tutors in the Math Lab and in the Developmental Math Lab, undergraduate academic apprentices, and undergraduates involved with faculty/student collaborative research projects sponsored by ORSP.
- Hire, supervise, and train student office workers. Process and approve timesheets for student employees and update the student office worker manual.
- Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve problems regarding the proctor approval process for online mathematics courses.
- Manage and assist the department in the administration of the Springboard Program offered each summer.
- Identify and update changes to the department website, directory, and interoffice directory for the department.
THE UNIT: The Department of Mathematics consists of 40 staff members. Information can be found on the department webpage https://www.uwec.edu/academics/college-arts-sciences/departments-programs/mathematics/
UNIVERSITY and EAU CLAIRE COMMUNITY: UW-Eau Claire, an institution of approximately 11,500 students and 1,400 faculty and staff, is consistently recognized as a top comprehensive university in the Midwest and is widely known as a leader in faculty-undergraduate research and study abroad. We strive for excellence in liberal education and select graduate and professional programs through commitment to teaching and learning and dedication to our core values of diversity, sustainability, leadership, and innovation.
The City of Eau Claire, situated at the confluence of the Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers, is at the center of a metropolitan area of approximately 100,000 people located 90 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The area features beautiful parks and trails, strong public schools, a vibrant arts scene and local food culture, and abundant recreational opportunities.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications are submitted electronically. Please follow instructions found on the following UW-Eau Claire Web site: http://www.uwec.edu/Employment. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the Mathematics: University Services Program Associate position (Job ID # 19359) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- Names and contact information for three references
Please direct requests for additional information to:
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by March 1, 2023. However, screening may continue until position is filled. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Employment will require a background check. Employment will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding past conduct related to sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report. Also visit our Campus Security Authority(CSA) policy.
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The University reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Employment will require a background check. Employment will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding past conduct related to sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).