UW-Eau Claire – Eau Claire Campus
Accounting and Finance
Full Time, Staff
- Official Title: Accountant
- Job ID: #19181
- Date Posted:
- Apply by: | To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by deadline. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
A full-time, professional academic staff position is available in the ASK Center-Accounting Office beginning February 23, 2023. The working title for this assignment is Grant Accountant with an official title in the accountant title series. The salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications, with an expected starting range of $50,000-55,000.
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or closely related field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, procedures and standards.
- Ability to interpret, apply and communicate financial information to UW-System and University administrators.
- Ability to prepare financial reports, spreadsheets and budgets
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, database systems, financial accounting systems and various database query tools
- Strong mathematical ability and strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy in data entry and in reconciliation of various accounting figures
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple projects under competing deadlines
- Prior governmental experience
- Prior knowledge of OMB Circulars and grant management
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
This position functions as the Grants Management Support accountant within the ASK Center - University Accounting Office and is responsible for assisting in the establishment and maintenance of grant project account, processes, and procedures for the operations and control of extramural support funded activities in compliance with all regulatory requirements. Additionally, the position assists in the preparation of reports, adjusting entries, and monitors budgets. The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- General Ledger Financial and Extramural Support Administration
- Financial Reporting
- Subsidiary Accounting Systems
- General Ledger Accounting and Budget Control
- Miscellaneous Duties
THE UNIT: The unit of the ASK Center-Accounting Office consists of 3 staff members, including the Controller and a General Ledger Accountant.
UNIVERSITY and EAU CLAIRE COMMUNITY: UW-Eau Claire, an institution of approximately 11,500 students and 1,400 faculty and staff, is consistently recognized as a top comprehensive university in the Midwest and is widely known as a leader in faculty-undergraduate research and study abroad. We strive for excellence in liberal education and select graduate and professional programs through commitment to teaching and learning and dedication to our core values of diversity, sustainability, leadership, and innovation.
The City of Eau Claire, situated at the confluence of the Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers, is at the center of a metropolitan area of approximately 100,000 people located 90 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The area features beautiful parks and trails, strong public schools, a vibrant arts scene and local food culture, and abundant recreational opportunities.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications are submitted electronically. Please follow instructions found on the following UW-Eau Claire Web site: http://www.uwec.edu/Employment/uweccareers.htm. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the ASK Center-University Accounting: Grant Accountant position (Job ID #19181) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- Names and contact information for three references.
- Please address these 4 scenarios on a separate attachment:
- Scenario 1: A faculty member with a federal grant is scheduled to share significant project findings by giving a keynote address next month at an international conference. Due to a recent surgery, the faculty member was advised by her doctor that, as a precautionary measure against complications, she should travel first-class rather than coach for the 12 hour flight. The faculty member then contacts you for advice about using grant funds to pay for her first-class airline ticket. What do you recommend?
- Scenario 2: A faculty member has an NSF grant with an approved budget for student wages, supplies and travel. They ask you if they can change the grant budget to instead move the travel funds toward more student wages. Is this something NSF allows? What do you recommend?
- Scenario 3: A faculty member with an active federal grant and must take a leave of absence. When the faculty contacts you with this update, what guidance would you provide?
- Scenario 4: What would you tell a faculty member who wants to use their grant funds to purchase gift cards as a prize for students who are graduating? Is this allowable within UWEC policy?
Please direct requests for additional information to:
Jackie Kriesel; email@example.com
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by January 29, 2023. However, screening may continue until position is filled. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. A criminal background check is required prior to employment.
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report. Also visit our Campus Security Authority(CSA) policy.
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The University reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Employment will require a background check. Employment will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding past conduct related to sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).