UW-Eau Claire – Eau Claire Campus
Full Time, Staff
- Official Title: Athletic Trainer
- Job ID: #18018
- Date Posted:
- Apply by: | To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by deadline. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
Athletics/Kinesiology: Assistant Athletic Trainer/MSAT Program Support
A full-time professional academic staff position is available in the Department of Athletics and Department of Kinesiology beginning in March of 2022. The working title for this assignment is Assistant Athletic Trainer and Kinesiology Program Support for MSAT (Master of Science in Athletic Training). The duties for this position are split between the Department of Athletics (60%) and the Department of Kinesiology (40%) and is a fixed-renewable assignment which is renewable by the supervisor contingent on performance. The expected hiring salary will be $48,000 for a fiscal year assignment.
This position serves as a staff Athletic Trainer in the Department of Athletics and provides support to the Program Director and Clinical Education Coordinator of the Master’s in Athletic Training Program in the Department of Kinesiology. This includes providing all aspects of medical care for varsity sport team members and providing administrative support for the Master’s in Athletic Training program, as well as other duties as assigned. This position works under general supervision and reports to the Head Athletic Trainer in the Department of Athletics and to the Chair of the Department of Kinesiology.
- BOC certification required (State of Wisconsin Athletic Training licensure or eligible)
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Athletic Training
- Current Cardiac Care Certification (ARC or AHA programs)
- Experience in communications and marketing including social media
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills within a diverse community
- Working knowledge of desktop hardware and standard business software programs (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, and databases) and the Internet
- Works independently and as part of a collegial team environment on collaborative efforts
- Master’s degree in Athletic Training
- Experience in developing university/community collaborations in athletic training
- Previous collegiate athletic training experience
- Excellent communication skills (both written & oral)
- Ability to maintain patient and student confidentiality
- Excellent customer service skills
- First Aid and CPR instructor certification preferred
- Ability to lift and move up to 50 pounds
- Ability to stand for extended periods or time in variable indoor and outdoor climates and surfaces
- Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness, and resourcefulness
- Highly organized with attention to detail in proofreading and editing
- Experience in higher education
- Knowledge of accreditation requirements
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
Assistant Athletic Trainer
- Assist the head athletic trainer with all aspects of medical care for varsity sport athletic team members including: prevention, care, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries to include practice, game, and athletic training room coverage.
- Participate as a team member in the development and support of excellence within the athletics programs.
- Supervision of athletic training students as a preceptor for Athletic Training Education Program
Essential Duties and Expectations
- Provide support/assistance in athletic training coverage for 25 varsity sport practices and games including nights & weekends as assigned by Head Athletic Trainer and/or Director of Athletics or Associate Athletic Director
- Provide appropriate medical care, treatment, and injury evaluations
- Documentation of injuries, treatments, and medical notes
- Referral of athletes to appropriate healthcare professionals as needed
- ImPACT Concussion testing administration and communication
- Supervise and manage daily training room operations
- Maintain communication and coordinate care with team physicians and other allied health professionals
- Demonstrate knowledge of and follow University, WIAC, and NCAA rules and regulations
- Follow and abide all OSHA mandates and requirements
- Assist with supervision of Athletic Training Interns & athletic training students
- Serve as a preceptor for UWEC Athletic Training Education Program
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Athletics and/or Head Athletic Trainer
Program Support for Master’s in Athletic Training program
Program Director and Clinical Coordinator support
- Assist with maintaining student recruitment efforts, distribution lists, and coordinate those with IMC office.
- Assist Program Director and Clinical coordinator with activities related to admissions.
- Organize and communicate efforts with admissions office regarding new applicants.
- Maintain ATCAS and schedule applicant interviews, reach out to prospective students for missing application information.
- Maintain communication and organize affiliation agreements with local clinical education sites. Secure signatures as needed.
- Communicate with prospective and current students via email consistently.
- Assist with travel authorizations and reimbursement reconciliations for faculty in the AT program.
- Collect and assimilate data for input into eAccred; CAATE portal for annual reports.
Program Promotions and Marketing
- Work with IMC office on campus regarding effective recruitment efforts. Keep PD and CEC up to date with process.
- Secure student list-serves from UW system and local institutions for promotional communication efforts.
- Create and maintain a distribution list of program directors, Athletic Training faculty, department chairs, and academic advisers to send promotional communication of the MSAT program at UWEC.
- Create and maintain a strong social media presence for the Master’s in Athletic Training Program at UWEC including but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, UW-Eau Claire webpage.
- Identify and report areas of promotional success or areas of improvement.
Event Planning and Coordination
- Plan and coordinate ATP meetings including room scheduling, outlook invitations, agenda creation, creation and distribution of minutes, etc.
- Organize agenda for any “on-campus” student and family visits.
- Coordinate events with the SATA club including AT month events, newsletters development, and alumni networks.
- Assist with arrangements for purchases from foundation funds and arrange for purchases with vendors following university purchasing requirements (with approval from PD).
- Coordinate MSAT convocation program (in future) including speaker ballots, pin orders, etc.
- Coordinate programmatic MAT end of year banquet.
Liaison with University Offices
- Serve as programmatic liaison with University offices including HR, LTS, Facilities, etc.
- Work with IMC on MSAT program website with PD and CEC input.
- Work with International Office for ideas on increasing equity, diversity, and inclusion of our applicant pool and enrolled students.
DEPARTMENTS: The Department of Athletics consists of 25 sports and averages 850 student-athletes annually. The Athletics Department has won 9 team NCAA National Championships and 44 individual or relay National Championships since 2001. The Blugolds finished 10th in the 2018-2019 Director’s Cup standings (the last full year before covid). The Department of Kinesiology consists of 13 faculty and instructional academic staff and approximately 700 majors and minors. Department faculty are dedicated to teaching and student learning and are actively engaged in student-faculty research. The Department is also recognized for community outreach programs that offer health and physical activity opportunities for individuals living in the Eau Claire area. In addition, the Department is affiliated with the Institute for Health Sciences at UW-Eau Claire, which supports the advancement and visibility of pre-professional and professional health science programs as well as interprofessional education.
UNIVERSITY and EAU CLAIRE COMMUNITY: UW-Eau Claire, an institution of approximately 11,500 students and 1,400 faculty and staff, is consistently recognized as a top comprehensive university in the Midwest and is widely known as a leader in faculty-undergraduate research and study abroad. We strive for excellence in liberal education and select graduate and professional programs through commitment to teaching and learning and dedication to our core values of diversity, sustainability, leadership, and innovation. To learn more about UWEC, visit https://www.uwec.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities/why-uwec/ .
The City of Eau Claire, situated at the confluence of the Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers, is at the center of a metropolitan area of approximately 100,000 people located 90 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The area features beautiful parks and trails, strong public schools, a vibrant arts scene and local food culture, and abundant recreational opportunities.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications are submitted electronically. Please follow instructions found on the following UW-Eau Claire Web site: https://www.uwec.edu/job-postings/. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the Athletics/Kinesiology: Assistant Athletic Trainer/MSAT Program Support position (Job ID # 18018) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- Unofficial undergraduate school transcript
- Names and contact information for three references.
Please direct requests for additional information to:
Dr. Corey Hannah; firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by March 1, 2022. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report. Also visit our Campus Security Authority(CSA) policy.
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The University reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Employment will require a background check. Employment will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding past conduct related to sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).