UW-Eau Claire – Eau Claire Campus
Housing + Residence Life
Full Time, Staff
- Official Title: Upholsterer
- Job ID: #17004
- Date Posted:
- Apply by: | To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by deadline. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
POSITION: A full-time, university staff position is available in Housing and Residence Life beginning May 17, 2021. The working and official title for this assignment is Upholsterer. This is an expected-to-continue assignment which requires a six-month probationary period and is renewable by the supervisor, contingent on satisfactory performance. The expected hourly hiring salary range will be $18.00 to $19.00 per hour, based on qualifications and experience.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness
• Considerable knowledge of the standard methods, materials, and accepted practices used in the upholstery of furniture and in the repairing, rebuilding, of metal and wood furniture, carpets, mattresses, and similar items
• Considerable knowledge of and skill in use of standard upholstery hand and machine tools and equipment including swing machines
• Ability to maintain records – Both physical and online records
• Knowledge of strength, durability and workability of materials commonly used in upholstery and the repair of furniture and other items to which the principles and practice of upholstery are applied
• Ability to read, interpret, and apply information gained from manuals, material brochures, and online instructional material
• Considerable knowledge of and skill in use of laundry equipment and cleaning/ storing of linens
• Ability to carry out oral or written instructions under limited supervision
• Collaborate and coordinate with campus custodial and facilities staff on work being done in residences halls to avoid conflicts in work areas
• Supervise a student upholstery shop crew
• Submit, monitor, and approve student payroll
• Repair, trim, rebuild, and refinish furniture
• Sew and repair rugs and carpets
• Make, repair, and install window curtains and blinds
• Make and repair canvas articles and specialties
• Assemble new equipment such as beds and furniture
• Maintain online loft request and work order system to address issues in a timely manner
• Hang signs, bulletin boards, and other items throughout residence halls
• Assist in residence hall move in and move out functions
• Move and remove furniture and supplies from residence halls
• Maintain a linen program for summer camps and conferences program and international students
• Other assigned work may include tasks not specifically identified above which are of similar kind and level
THE UNIT: The unit of Housing and Residence Life consists of approximately 30 professional staff members https://www.uwec.edu/campus-life/housing-dining/
UNIVERSITY and EAU CLAIRE COMMUNITY: UW-Eau Claire, an institution of approximately 11,500 students and 1,400 faculty and staff, is consistently recognized as a top comprehensive university in the Midwest and is widely known as a leader in faculty-undergraduate research and study abroad. We strive for excellence in liberal education and select graduate and professional programs through commitment to teaching and learning and dedication to our core values of diversity, sustainability, leadership, and innovation. To learn more about UWEC, visit https://www.uwec.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities/why-uwec/ .
The City of Eau Claire, situated at the confluence of the Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers, is at the center of a metropolitan area of approximately 100,000 people located 90 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The area features beautiful parks and trails, strong public schools, a vibrant arts scene and local food culture, and abundant recreational opportunities.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications are submitted electronically. Please follow instructions found on the following UW-Eau Claire Web site: https://www.uwec.edu/job-postings/. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the Upholsterer position (Job ID #17004) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
• Letter of application
• Names and contact information for three references
Please direct requests for additional information to:
Ryan Banaszak; firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by March 18, 2021. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report. Also visit our Campus Security Authority(CSA) policy.
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The University reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Employment will require a background check. Employment will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding past conduct related to sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change in November 2021. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/.