UW-Eau Claire – Eau Claire Campus
College of Nursing + Health Sciences
Full Time, Administrative
- Official Title: Dean Assistant
- Job ID: #16506
- Date Posted:
- Apply by: | To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by deadline. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
College of Nursing and Health Sciences: Dean's Assistant
A full-time university staff position is available in The College of Nursing and Health Sciences beginning as soon as possible. The working title for this assignment is Dean’s Assistant with an official title of Dean Assistant. This is an expected-to-continue assignment which requires a six-month probationary period. The expected hourly hiring salary will be based on qualifications and experience.
- Experience in event planning and management.
- Experience in travel planning.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent judgment including sensitivity to personal and confidential information.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer service skills in working with a diverse community.
- Working knowledge of desktop hardware and standard business software programs (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, and database) and the Internet.
- Highly organized.
- Attention to detail, proofreading and editing skills.
- Good work habits, such as attendance, punctuality, accountability, thoroughness, and resourcefulness.
- Works independently and as part of a team environment and on collaborative efforts.
- Performs effectively in environments with frequent workload changes and competing demands.
- Experience in higher education.
- Bachelor's degree in English, Communications, or a related field preferred.
- Prior experience as an executive assistant.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
This position provides complex support to the Dean and Associate Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CONHS). This support includes administrative support, Dean’s Office reception, event planning and coordination, student scholarships and faculty awards coordination, and other duties as assigned. This position works under general supervision and reports to the Dean of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
30% Dean and Associate Dean Support
- Maintain Dean’s calendar and schedule.
- Assist Dean with activities related to on and off campus committees including preparation of information for meetings, reports, presentations, and various programs.
- Coordinate travel arrangements for Dean.
- Compose correspondence for Dean and Associate Dean.
- Assist with special projects as assigned by Dean.
- Provide administrative support to Associate Dean.
10% Dean’s Office Reception
- Serve visitors at the front desk by greeting, welcoming, directing, and announcing them appropriately.
- Answer the Dean’s Office telephone, screening and forwarding incoming phone calls.
- Ensure reception area is tidy and presentable, with all necessary stationery and material (e.g. pens, forms, and brochures).
- Assist student, alumni, and public requests for information as appropriate.
- Oversee the online visitors parking permit process.
25% Administrative Support
- Maintain college electronic mailing lists including faculty, staff, student group, and alumni.
- Develop, compile, and update college directory, Go To List, and emergency contacts and phone lists.
- Maintain college organization chart.
- Take detailed minutes at College and Support Staff meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Maintain college calendars.
- Prepare Dean’s List, compose and distribute correspondence.
- Manage Outside Activities process.
- Serve as search and screen coordinator/support for non-instructional staff recruitments.
- Assist with grant proposal preparation.
- Support accreditation renewals.
- Develop, maintain, and update Dean’s Office filing system.
- Assist as needed with preparation of human resources forms.
- Ensure nursing licensure forms all are completed, signed, notarized, and mailed.
- Create academic letters for students including warning, probation, and suspension letters.
- Supervise Dean’s Office student employee/s.
- Develop and maintain online reservation system for the nursing dean’s conference room
15% Event Planning & Coordination
- Plan and Coordinate college meetings including room scheduling, outlook invitations, agenda creation, distribution of minutes, etc.
- Orient new college staff and faculty.
- Coordinate alumni nursing events including Alumni Walks and Nurse Week events including attendance tracking, seeking donated door prizes, tracking t-shirt orders, etc.
- Make recommendations for purchases from foundation funds and arrange for purchases with vendors following university purchasing requirements.
- Coordinate Nursing Convocation Program including student speaker ballots, ordering pins, etc.
- Coordinate college event to honor scholarship recipients and donors.
15% Student Scholarships and Faculty Awards Coordination
- Review and post appropriate private scholarship information in Scholarship Binders and ensure information is posted on college website.
- Review, analyze, and update foundation scholarship information based on availability of scholarships.
- Coordinate with Foundation to update UWEC Gold for Blugold Foundation Scholarship Application Form.
- Create Data Warehouse report of qualified nursing students for nursing scholarships. Notify qualified students of scholarship application process, required items, and deadline to apply.
- Work with the scholarship committee on the review process and selection process to award the nursing scholarships. Provide scholarship application lists, reports by criteria and award forms for the committee to use.
- Determine amounts awarded and statistics of scholarship awards process and update SAUAC and Amounts Given List.
- Award scholarships in Gold for Blugolds program to individual students by semester and amounts according to scholarship criteria.
- Prepare award and non-award letters for all scholarships in the College.
- Provide a list of student names, scholarships, and statistics for News Bureau to submit to hometown newspapers.
- Coordinate faculty award procedures, email faculty of criteria, collect nominations, prepare award letters and certificates for recipients, invite donor to opening college meeting, and arrange for transfer of monies for awards.
5% Other duties as assigned
Join an institution built on a foundation of excellence, liberal education, and inclusivity. The College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS) fosters the transformation of individuals at the undergraduate and graduate levels into leaders in professional nursing practice, education, and scholarship. We value excellence in education, experiential learning, leadership, life-long learning, practice, and scholarship; diversity and eliminating barriers to participation; integrity; innovation; social responsibility inclusive to a positive influence on health, respect, social justice, accountability, and sustainability; finally, health and quality of life. In doing so, we endeavor to transform the lives of our students, the practice of our profession, and the health of all we serve.
As part of the college you become a member of two communities and gain partnerships with the premier healthcare providers in the state of Wisconsin. The college is comprised of the Department of Nursing with two site locations: Eau Claire, WI located on the UW-Eau Claire campus and Marshfield, WI located within the prestigious Marshfield Clinic. In addition to Marshfield Clinic, UW-Eau Claire the College of Nursing has partnerships in place with world acclaimed Mayo Clinic Health System.
The Department of Nursing offers four degree programs: traditional Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN), Bachelor of Science in Nursing Completion (BSNC), Master of Science in Nursing Education (MSN), and Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP). UW-Eau Claire is the only public university in northwestern Wisconsin that offers a baccalaureate nursing degree. All programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
As a department we believe high-impact educational experiences, scholarship, and service to our communities enhance the personal and professional growth of students and faculty. We embrace equity, diversity, and inclusivity in our professional and personal lives. Faculty can develop their own student intercultural immersion experiences. Current faculty led domestic intercultural immersion experiences include working with migrant farm workers in western Wisconsin, the Somali population in northern Wisconsin, and clinical work with the Lakota Sioux nation in South Dakota. Scholarship and research are supported at the college and university levels. Undergraduate students can collaborate with faculty on faculty-mentored scholarly projects through the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.
For more information about CONHS, please visit: https://www.uwec.edu/academics/college-nursing-health-sciences/
UNIVERSITY and EAU CLAIRE COMMUNITY: UW-Eau Claire, an institution of approximately 11,500 students and 1,400 faculty and staff, is consistently recognized as a top comprehensive university in the Midwest and is widely known as a leader in faculty-undergraduate research and study abroad. We strive for excellence in liberal education and select graduate and professional programs through commitment to teaching and learning and dedication to our core values of diversity, sustainability, leadership, and innovation.
The City of Eau Claire, situated at the confluence of the Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers, is at the center of a metropolitan area of approximately 100,000 people located 90 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The area features beautiful parks and trails, strong public schools, a vibrant arts scene and local food culture, and abundant recreational opportunities.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications are submitted electronically. Please follow instructions found on the following UW-Eau Claire Web site: http://www.uwec.edu/Employment. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the College of Nursing and Health Sciences: Dean Assistant position (Job ID # 16506) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- Names and contact information for three references.
Please direct requests for additional information to:
Samantha Pearson, firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received by June 30, 2020. However, screening may continue until position is filled.
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report. Also visit our Campus Security Authority policy.
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The University reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. Employment will require a background check. Employment will also require you and your references to answer questions regarding past conduct related to sexual violence and sexual harassment.
The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful candidate will be released. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings may change in Spring 2020. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/.