print header

Receiving Your Financial Aid

This information helps you review your financial aid package to make sure you understand the types of aid you've been given and take steps to accept or decline that financial aid, especially any loans you have been awarded.

If you still have questions after reading this information, please contact Blugold Central.

Step 1: 

Log in to CampS to review your financial aid award. You should have received an email notifying you that the award is ready for you to review.

Step 2: 

Make sure to review and understand each portion of your financial aid award—the types you may see are listed below. Your award may consist of a combination of various types of loans, grants, and work study. Review and understand the terms of any loans being offered before accepting or declining those loans. If you have any questions, please contact Blugold Central. Steps 3-5 continue below.

Grants are gift assistance and do not have to be repaid. Because these are gift assistance, we assume you will want the grants and you do not have to actively accept them.

Loans must be repaid. Loans in your package must be accepted or declined. There are two main kinds of loans—subsidized and unsubsidized. It's important to review the terms of each of the loans.

Subsidized Federal Student Loans – interest is waived and no payments are required while you are enrolled for halftime or more.

Unsubsidized Federal Student Loans – interest begins to accumulate once loan is disbursed, although payments on the loan are not required while you are enrolled for halftime or more.

Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loans) – unsubsidized loan in parent's name; payments and interest begin 60 days after final disbursement for the year. Deferment is available upon request.

Additional Educational Loans –  terms vary based on the various loan programs through non-federal lenders.

Important note: Any of these loans must be actively accepted in CampS and cannot be disbursed into your account until a signed promissory note is on file and entrance counseling is complete. Information on how to do that is in Step 4 below.

Federal Work Study offers you job opportunities based on financial need. You must take the action to apply for the work study jobs. A work study award is an option to get a job, not a requirement to work or a guaranteed job.

If you received a work study award in your financial aid package, these funds will not be directly applied to your account. You need to apply for positions listed as "work study" on the Handshake job board, earn a paycheck based on the hours you work, and your paycheck will be directly deposited into your bank account. You may earn up to the amount indicated on your award. Open positions are posted on the job board at: 

Non-federal employment is another type of on-campus job that is different from work study and those jobs are open to all UWEC students regardless of whether or not you have been awarded work study.Scholarships are primarily based on academic merit or special talents, although some scholarships take financial need into consideration.Non-university scholarships - Any non-university scholarship checks should be brought/sent to Blugold Central as soon as possible to ensure the scholarship dollars will be on accounts by the time bills are due. In some cases, scholarships may result in the reduction of other need-based aid –primarily loan or work study.

Tuition Waivers are a form of grant assistance and are awarded based on financial need or special population status, such as veterans' status.

Step 3:

In CampS, choose to accept or decline any loans offered. After the loan is accepted, you can reduce the loan amount, if you will not need the full loan. Note: Financial aid disburses to student accounts beginning the first week of each semester in most cases.

Step 4: 

If you accept a direct loan on your financial aid package, you will need to sign an electronic master promissory note and complete entrance counseling before you will receive those funds. This is done in CampS as well. First-time student loan borrowers at UW-Eau Claire will be sent information about completing an online entrance counseling and a master promissory note. Continuing students should not have to repeat these steps. Information on entrance counseling can be found on this page.

If you accept a Perkins loan on your financial aid package, you will need to complete an additional promissory note and entrance counseling—information can be found on this page.

Step 5: 

If the aid you received does not cover your costs, you may want to review the "Need More Money?" page and make sure you take a look at the following options for additional funding:

  • Scholarships

  • On campus jobs

  • PLUS Loans

  • SELF Loans (if you are a MN resident)

  • Private/alternative loans

When will I get my money? (disbursement of aid)

Financial aid is disbursed into your account starting the first week of classes. Grants, loans, and scholarships are applied to university charges (i.e. tuition/fees, residence hall, and meal plan expenses). If there are remaining financial aid funds after the university charges are paid, the balance is given to you—either through direct deposit or a check—for books and living expenses.

Remember: Loan funds must be actively accepted in CampS and cannot be disbursed until a signed promissory note is on file and entrance counseling is complete.

Employment - Paychecks for all student employment, including work study, are based on hours worked. If you work on campus you receive your paychecks biweekly and must arrange to have them directly deposited through the human resources team in the ASK Center in Schofield 230.

Reasons your financial aid may change

You have additional resources - You must notify the Financial Aid Team in Blugold Central of any additional awards or benefits (e.g. scholarships, tuition reimbursements, etc.) that are not already listed as part of your financial aid award. Additional resources can be reported in writing or through Self Service in MyBlugold CampS. (There is an option to "Report Other Financial Aid" in Self Service, under Financial Aid.) Although additional resources may require an adjustment to other need-based aid, every effort will be made to ensure the adjustment is as advantageous as possible to you, reducing loan or work study first.

Your enrollment status changes - You should verify that aid is awarded for each semester that you plan to attend and that the enrollment status listed on the Financial Aid Notification (fulltime, halftime, less than halftime) is accurate for each semester. Changes in enrollment status may impact the amount of financial aid eligibility. The final financial aid award for each semester will be based on the number of credits you are enrolled in on the tenth day of classes.

Your living arrangements change - To calculate your aid eligibility, we have used the housing status you reported on your FAFSA (living with parent or not living with parent). If your plans have changed, please correct the information on the FAFSA.

You are not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards - in order to receive and continue to receive financial aid, you must meet the following three components of academic progress.

1) Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 grade point average.
2) Successfully complete 67% of total enrolled credits. Failing a class or maintaining an incomplete in a class is not considered successfully completing the class.
3) Complete a degree within 150% of the published length of the degree program.

For a copy of the complete policy, see the Financial Aid website under "Policies" .

Your cost of attendance goes up - Blugold Central establishes standard budgets that show average costs for the academic year. Standard budgets include estimates for tuition and fees, and room and board, books, personal, and transportation expenses. For specifics about estimated costs, see the "Costs" section of the Financial aid website or the individualized "Shopping Sheet" in MyBlugold CampS. Students who experience unusual expenses may request an increase in their budget.

Special circumstances - Students and families who have extenuating circumstances that affect their finances, or who experience a significant change in their financial situation, may request a review of their financial aid. Students (or parents) are encouraged to explain those circumstances in writing, and a counselor will review the situation for a possible award adjustment. Students and families are always welcome to make an appointment with a counselor to discuss the situation directly.

Important Tips

Change Requests - Requests for changes in your award may cause a delay in receiving financial aid funds. Allow 10 to 15 working days for a change to be processed.Re-apply Each Year - Students need to re-apply for aid each year by filing an updated FAFSA after January 1. Priority filing deadline is April 15 for the most advantageous aid.


Special Programs for MN Residents - Minnesota residents should be sure they have completed the MN Reciprocity Form for the appropriate academic year. Students may apply for reciprocity using the Online Tuition Reciprocity Application . Those not approved for reciprocity will be assessed tuition at the non-resident rate.

The SELF Loan is available only to Minnesota residents. Interest must be paid on a quarterly basis and the loan requires a co-signer. Although this loan is not need-based, a FAFSA must be completed. Entrance counseling and applications are available on-line at: 

Student Work Experience

Types of Student Employment

On-Campus - There are two kinds of student employment on-campus - "Federal Work Study" and "Non-Federal Employment". Non-federal student employment positions are open to all UW-Eau Claire students. A work study award allow students to also apply for work study positions that are available both on-campus and in community service positions off-campus.

Off-campus - The University maintains a Job Location and Develpment Program that develops hundreds of part-time jobs in the local community each year, as well as summer positions. Those jobs are opened to any UW-Eau Claire student.

How to Find a Job

  • Job Board - Open positions, on- and off- campus, are posted on the online Job Board at: contact information is included in the job postings, and students should follow-up with employers directly.
  • Contacting Departments - Students may want to contact departments where they would like to work. Some of the largest employers -on-campus include: University Residence Halls, McIntyre Library, Davies Center, Recreation, Learning and Technology Services, Facilities management, university Food Services, University Bookstore.

Hiring Procedures for On-campus Employment

Supervisors of student employees and Student Payroll office will assist with the hiring procedures. Details about the procedures are available at:  .

Paychecks: Students receive payment for hours worked every two weeks. All payments are directly deposited into either a checking or savings account; no checks will be issued. Direct deposit forms can be completed by accessing