print header

Eligibility Requirements

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy for Financial Aid

The University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire is required to develop and apply consistent and reasonable standards of satisfactory academic progress for all students.   In order to receive and continue to receive financial aid, students must meet the following three components of satisfactory progress:

  • minimum grade point average (2.0)
  • Pace (complete 67% of credits attempted)
  • Maximum time frame (150% of the credits required for a degree)

These standards are monitored for all periods of attendance, regardless of whether or not a student received financial aid while they were enrolled.

Note: Standards of satisfactory progress for financial aid are slightly different from the University's Academic Standing and Progress policy (see University Catalog).  Students are expected to understand and meet both policies' standards.


Standard for Grade Point Average

Maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA after the third semester of enrollment (transfer plus resident).  Test credits and no-gpa credits (remedial, retroactive and pass-fail) will be counted as attempted and earned.

Standard for Pace (Minimum Credits Completed)

Successfully complete 67% of total UW-Eau Claire enrolled plus transfer credits. A grade of F, W, XF, U, IN, or Q  is not considered successfully completing the class.  Test credits and no-gpa credits (remedial, retroactive and pass-fail) will be counted as attempted and earned.

Note: All attempted credits (credits enrolled in on the 10th day of the term) are counted for this total.

Standard for Maximum Time Frame

Graduate with no more than 150% of the credits required for a degree.  For most undergraduates, this is 180 attempted credits.  Monitoring to ensure students will graduate within this time frame begins when the student has attempted a total of 130 cumulative transfer plus resident credits.  Test credits and no-gpa credits (remedial, retroactive and pas-fail) will be counted as attempted and earned.

  • For degree programs that require more than 120 credits, the maximum timeframe is increased proportionately, however these are dealt with individually through the appeal process.
  • Undergraduates pursing a second degree may attempt 90 resident credits.
  • Graduate students may attempt 54 resident credits.

Note:  All attempted credits (credits enrolled in on the 10th day of the term) are counted for this total.

Evaluation Procedures

These standards are measured once a year at the end of every academic year (spring semester) using the official grade reports from the Registrar's office.  Students who fail to meet the minimum GPA or credit standards or have exceeded the maximum number of attempted credits will be denied future aid.

Due to the close proximity of our awarding process and summer disbursements, students will be allowed to continue to receive financial aid for summer even if they have not made satisfactory academic progrss at the end of the spring semester.  If they are flagged for not making SAP at the end of spring, they will not be allowed to receive fall aid (unless they successfully appeal and have an academic plan).


Reestablishing Aid Eligibility

To reestablish eligibility for financial aid, students may: 

  1. Choose to continue to enroll in classes without financial aid until they earn an academic 
    standing that meets the minimum criteria, i.e. bring the cumulative GPA up to to a 2.0 or 
    successfully complete 67% of accumulative attempted credits.  Once they have reached 
    the minimum standard, aid can be reinstated, and/or
  2. Document the correct information, if an error has been made, and/or
  3. Submit an appeal that explains the extenuating cirumstances that prevented them from 
    making satisfactory progress.  Extenuating circumstances include - but are not limited to -medical or personal situations that resulted in undue hardship and prevented satisfactory 
    academic progress.

Appeal Procedure

A written letter of appeal may be submitted to the Financial Aid office for review and must be submitted prior to the end of the semester for which the student is appealing to receive fiancial aid. Appeals should explain:

  • The reason(s) in detail for not meeting the standards of academic progress; and the measures the student has taken to ensure that the problem does not reoccur.

Additional documentation confirming the appealed situation may be required.

For GPA appeals, in addition to explaining extenuating circumstances, students should meet with their academic advisor and create an academic plan showing how long it will take them to raise their GPA to at least a cumulative 2.0.

For Maximum Time Frame appeals, in addition to explaining extenuating circumstances students should include a degree audit, anticipated graduation date, and a listing of courses needed to graduate (in a semester by semester outline).  This listing should be developed with the assistance of an academic advisor. 

Appeals will be reviewed through the Financial Aid Appeals Committee appeals process.  Students will be notified in writing of the appeal decision.

Approved Appeals

If an appeal is approved, Students will be sent an Academic Progrss Plan outlining the required 
minimum standards per emester that the student must meee.  Plans are signed by both the 
student and the financial aid counselior and maintained in the Financial Aid office.  Students on 
Academic Progress Plans will be monitored every term to ensure the standards of the plan are 
being met.  Once the student has reinstated satisfactory academic progress, s/he will go back to 
being monitored on an annual basis.

If students encounter unexpected circumstances that prevent them from meeting the standards 
in the Academic Plan, they should meet with the financial aid counselor to discuss how this may 
impact their financial aid.

Failed Academic Progress Plans

Students, who fail to meet the terms of the plan at the end of each term, will be denied further aid until all academic deficienceis are corrected.  Although students who fail their plan may appeal the reinstatement of their fiancial aid, their reasons for appeal will be held to a high standard.

Additional Information

Consortium Agreement Credits:
Credits taken at other institutions while on consortium agreement at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire will be counted as transfer credits in the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Withdrawals: Withdrawals, either from a course or from the University, will have the credits counted as enrolled credits in the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy and will be used to assess minimum credits earned when determining the students pace of completion.  Withdrawals that occur after the 10th week count as an 'F' will impact GPA.

Repeated Courses: Only one repeat of a course can be funded with financial aid if the student has
previously passed the course (i.e. received a D- or better).  The new grade will replace the previous grade in calculating grade point average.  Students obtaining special permission
to repeat a course more than once may have their aid reduced, because they may not be eligible for funding for the repeated course.

Test credits and no-gpa credits(remedial, retroactive and pass-fail) will be counted as attempted and earned.

Transfer Credits:
Credits from other institutions will be added to resident enrolled credits to determine total number of enrolled credits when calculating Maximum Time Frame, PACE, and GPA for Satisfactory Academic Progress.  

Incomplete Courses: Incomplete course work will not be considered as being successfully completed but will be considered as ttempted for Pace and Maximum Timeframe.  Completed courses will be replaced with an official grade and earned credits by the end of the tenth week of the first regular semester following the granting of the incomplete. Courses never completed will then be officially replaced by the grade initially reported with the request for the incomplete by the Registrar's Office. In either case, the new official grade will be considered during the next review of student's satisfactory academic progress. A student, who wants their completed incomplete grade considered sooner than the next review, is required to notify the Financial Aid Office of the new grade.

Remedial Courses: Noncredit remedial courses are allowed and will be funded. These courses will be subject to review under all aspects of the Satisfactory Progress Policy.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Courses:  These courses are not counted in GPA requirements, but are included in Maximum Timeframe and Pace determinations.

Audited Courses: Audited courses are not funded by financial aid.

Suspended Students: Students who are suspended will be notified by the institution of their suspension. Students who are not allowed to enroll because of their suspension will be systematically prevented from receiving financial aid.

Satisfactory Course Completion: A grade of A, B, C, D, or S represents satisfactory completion of a course. A grade of F, Q, W, U, or IN represents unsatisfactory completion of a course.

Wisconsin Higher Education Grant: The Wisconsin Higher Education Grant will not be awarded to students who are not making satisfactory academic progress.