Need Based (subsidized) Loans
Subsidized loans, available through the federal government, do not accrue interest or require repayment until after the student is no longer enrolled in school on a half time basis. To receive a subsidized loan, the student must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be eligible for need based aid.
Interest Bearing (unsubsidized) Loans
Unsubsidized or interest bearing loans do not require financial need (although most require that a FAFSA be filed). Unlike subsidized loans, unsubsidized loans accrue interest while the student is in school. Payments of principal may be delayed until the student is no longer enrolled in school on a half time basis.
Quick Links (for information and applications):
- Federal Unsubsidized Ford Loan
- Federal PLUS Loan for parents
- Minnesota SELF Loan
- Alternative Loans through private lenders
In order to receive your first William D. For Federal Direct Loan at the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire, federal low requires that you complete an Entrance Interview. We want to ensure that you have a full understanding of the rights and responsibilities you will incur before you accept this loan.
Electronic Master Promissory Note
In order to complete your Ford Loan Master Promissory Note on-line, you must have your federal PIN number (the same one used to sign the FAFSA on the Web). If you do not have a valid PIN or remember what it is, you must go to the Department of Education's PIN site at http://www.pin.ed.gov to either apply for a PIN or request a duplicate.
Steps required to complete the electronic master promissory note:
- Complete the Electronic Master Promissory Note worksheet (which will be mailed to you when your note is ready to be signed)
- Log on to the E-MPN website at: http://dlenote.ed.gov
- Select the "Complete new MPN for student loans" option
- Provide your federal PIN number
- Be sure to select University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire when asked to provide the name of your school
- Follow the instructions, and remember to print a copy of the promissory note for your records
Federal law requires that borrowers of Federal Direct Ford, Stafford, or SLS student loans receive an exit interview prior to graduation. You may complete this requirement by completing the on-line Exit Counseling on the Federal Student Aid web site. To use this site, you will need your U.S. Department of Education PIN. The phone number for the Direct Loan Servicer is (800)848-0979.
You may apply for consolidation through the Direct Consolidation Loan website. This process may either be completed on-line or you may download a paper application. If you choose the paper application, we would advise you to also print the "Instructions for Application and Promissory Note", which will aid you in completing the process.