print header


Subsidized (need-based) loans
Subsidized loans, available through the federal government, do not accrue interest or require repayment until after you no longer enrolled in school on a half time basis. To receive a subsidized loan, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be eligible for need based aid.

Unsubsidized (interest bearing) loans
Unsubsidized or interest bearing loans do not require financial need (although most require that a FAFSA be filed). Unlike subsidized loans, unsubsidized loans accrue interest while you are in school. Payments of principal may be delayed until you are no longer enrolled in school on a half time basis.

Requirements to receive loans

Ford Federal Direct Loans

In order to receive your first William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan at the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire, federal law requires that you complete an Entrance Counseling.  We want to ensure that you have a full understanding of the rights and responsibilities you will incur before you accept this loan.

Electronic Master Promissory Note
In order to complete your Ford Loan Master Promissory Note on-line, you must have a FSA ID.  If you do not have a valid FSA ID or remember what it is, you must go to Federal Student Aid,  to create a username and password.  You would also use this site if you forget your username or password.

 Steps required to complete the electronic master promissory note:

  • Log on to the E-MPN website at:
  • Using your FSA ID  'Sign In'
  • Be sure to select University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire when asked to provide the name of your school
  • Follow the instructions, and remember to print a copy of the promissory note for your records

Perkins Loans
For instructions on receiving a Perkins loan and its entrance counseling requirements, visit the Perkins loan page.

Exit Interview

Federal law requires that borrowers of Federal Direct Ford, Stafford, or SLS student loans receive an exit interview prior to graduation. You may complete this requirement by completing the on-line exit counseling on the Federal Student Aid website. To use this site, you will need your FSA ID. The phone number for the Direct Loan Servicer is (800) 848-0979.

If you received a Perkins Loan while enrolled at UW-Eau Claire, you must complete an exit interview when you become enrolled for less than half-time credits at UW-Eau Claire.  If this status is a result of graduation from UW-Eau Claire, you will be sent an email during the last month of your graduating semester explaining how to complete your exit interview online.

If you withdraw from UW-Eau Claire, transfer to another school, or drop below half-time credits (from UW-Eau Claire) for any other reason, you must complete an exit interview. Stop by Blugold Central and ask for Loan Services in Old Library, room 1108, to inform us of this status change.  If you cannot come to our office contact us at or 715-836-4817 and we will provide instruction for completing your exit interview online.
Once you leave the university we will place a hold on your account preventing future registration and records requests until you complete the exit interview.

If you have a Perkins Loan at UW-Eau Claire you can access your information at For assistance accessing your account contact or 715-836-4817.

Rights + Responsibilities

Borrower's Rights and Responsibilities Statement
The Borrower's Rights and Responsibilities Statement provides additional information about the terms and conditions of the Federal Direct Stafford/Ford Loans (Direct Subsidized Loans) and Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford/Ford Loans (Direct Unsubsidized loans).


Use the consolidation process on

The consolidation process may either be completed on-line or you may download a paper application.

There have been some recent e-mails sent to students from private lenders offering, for a fee, to help with consolidation. Consolidation is free.