The UW-Eau Claire Blugold Beginnings Learning Community is a program designed to provide academic, social, and personal support to multicultural, first generation and economically disadvantaged students at UWEC. We will work with students throughout their undergraduate college experience.
Students form relationships with other UWEC students, faculty, and professional staff by their involvement in academic, social, and cultural events, which promote positive college life experiences within their academic community. Students have the opportunity to participate in:
- A weeklong summer jump-start orientation camp
- Enrollment in linked common courses. First semester: GEN 100 (Introduction to the University Curriculum) and PHIL 120 (Moral Problems) Second Semester: GEN 100 (Academic & Career Exploration)
- Meetings with a university faculty or staff member who serves as your “college coach” throughout the first year
- Campus events such as Artists and Forum series, films, socials, and sporting activities
- Biweekly meetings with a returning Learning Community student who serves as your peer mentor
- Completion of a service-learning project
- Six hours of paid employment per week
Students invited to join Blugold Beginnings will receive information in their letter of admission. If you have been invited to the program, you can submit this form to accept, decline, or request more information.