Skip to main content
COVID-19 updates from UW-Eau Claire   READ MORE »

UW-Eau Claire and COVID-19

Frequently Asked Questions

Ongoing updates will be made to the frequently asked questions below, so please check back often for the most current information.

Q: If I submit a coronavirus-related inquiry via email to, when can I expect a response?

 A: If your inquiry has not already been answered in these FAQs, you can expect a response within one to two business days. Before you submit a question via, please be sure to review the responses to FAQs below and check earlier campus communications to be sure your question has not already been answered.

 Q: How do I contact the Student Health Service if I have coronavirus-related questions?

 A: Students should call the Student Health Service at 715-836-5360 if they have questions about the coronavirus and testing options. The health service staff can also do screenings over the phone. Please CALL the office and do not go to the Student Health Service in person if you are experiencing symptoms.

 Q: When are students, faculty and staff required to self-quarantine?

 A: Anyone returning from international travel (including students returning from study abroad) OR from a state where there are more than 100 confirmed COVID-19 cases reported must self-quarantine for 14 days. (Consult the Centers for Disease Control’s Information for Travel and COVID-19 in the U.S. pages to check on particular locations globally and in the U.S.)

NOTE: Students should return home to self-quarantine. A student experiencing symptoms who cannot return home/does not have a home address away from campus should contact Housing and Residence Life (, 715-836-3674) to discuss self-quarantine arrangements. 

Protocols for self-quarantine are found on the Wisconsin Department of Health Services COVID-19 webpage.

Q: What spring 2020 study abroad programs have been canceled?

A: All spring study abroad programming has been canceled.

Q: What summer 2020 study abroad or faculty-led immersions programs have been canceled?

A: The following summer study abroad programs have been canceled: China USAC, Chengdu; China, Globalization (faculty-led); China: Representing Cultures in Southwest China (faculty-led); Czech Republic (faculty-led); Italy June 2020; and three faculty-student collaborative research programs have been postponed until next year. 

Q: What other university-related travel has been canceled?

A: All university-related travel has been canceled.

Q: Can I withdraw from my classes?

A: Yes, students have until April 17 to drop a class or all classes. This will result in W’s on your transcripts. Be sure to consult Blugold Central (Vicki Lord Larson Hall Room 1108, 715-836-3000, if you are receiving financial aid if you are withdrawing or going part-time. There are no refunds at this time for dropping classes.

The absence policy change (see below) is for short-term missing of classes for students who are feeling sick. Once they are feeling better, students are expected to return to classes.

Q: Can I withdraw from housing and meal plans?

A: If you remain enrolled in classes at this time, you can withdraw from housing and meal plans, and you will be eligible for a refund. Our residence halls and dining services will remain open. Please contact Housing and Residence Life at if you have additional questions.

Q: What is the current policy regarding missed classes?

A: We want students to be safe. A student who is feeling sick should notify their professors and stay home, and these absences will not be held the student’s grades. Students should keep faculty updated on their status and when they plan to return to classes.

Q: Are students with campus jobs still being employed?

A: The university will continue to employ students who wish to remain in their current jobs. Student employees are encouraged to contact their supervisors to communicate their plans. 

Q: Are campus recreation facilities available to students during this time?

A: In accordance with Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers' "Safer at Home" order, all campus recreation facilities are closed. These closures are expected to remain in place until Gov. Evers' order is lifted. Check the Recreation and Sport Operations website for updates.

Q: Are students and parents allowed to travel to campus to collect books and personal property in light of Gov. Evers' "Safer at Home" order?

A: Yes, UW System has confirmed that the order allows students and their families to retrieve belongings from campus residence halls and off-campus living quarters.

Q: I’m currently signed up to attend an Admissions Office event (campus visit, admitted student day, etc.). Should I still plan to attend?

A: No. To protect our campus community as well as our visitors, all campus visits and admissions programming are canceled until further notice. If you have questions about visiting campus, please contact the Admissions Office at 715-836-5415 or We look forward to meeting you when campus reopens to visitors!