This information is for candidates graduating with a DPN, Master's, or Specialist in Education. Below you will find pre-ceremony and during-ceremony instructions.
Preparing for the ceremony
- You will attend the ceremony of your college.
- Arts + Sciences
- Specialist in Education
- Master of Arts in History
- Master of Arts in Public History
- Master of Science in Data Science
- College of Business
- Master of Business Administration
- College of Education + Human Sciences
- Master of Education-Professional Development
- Master of Science in Athletic Training
- Master of Science in Communication Sciences + Disorders
- Nursing + Health Sciences
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Master of Science in Nursing
- Arts + Sciences
- Honors are not assessed at the graduate level, therefore no graduate students wear honor cords.
- Purchase and bring your cap/tam and tassel. Doctoral candidates may purchase a tam. All others may purchase a mortarboard.
- Purchase and bring your hood for the formal hooding ceremony.
- Hoods are lined with the colors of the university - blue and gold.
- Each hood is edged with velvet in the color signifying the degree title on the diploma.
During-ceremony hooding instructions
Doctoral, Specialist in Education and Master Candidates: Will approach the stage single file and be announced by a single reader.
- Advance toward the platform with hood draped over your left arm while holding your reader card in your right hand. Give your card to the reader.
- Walk onto the stage as your name is announced and receive your diploma cover from the Dean of Graduate Studies
- Walk toward the Dean of your College who will take your hood from you.
- Stand on the taped "X," facing the audience.
- The dean and assistant will install the hood and will tap your shoulders when installation is complete.
- Shake hands with the dean and assistant
- Walk toward the chancellor, shake hands and exit the stage.