Eleanor Roosevelt Display
A display panel in The Dulany Inn, Davies Center 122, records the campus visit of Eleanor Roosevelt on April 20, 1954. Called "First Lady of the World" by President Harry Truman in tribute to her humanitarian achievements, Mrs. Roosevelt was welcomed at the college fieldhouse (Zorn Arena) by President William R. Davies and his wife Delpha Davies. In the first notable event at the new facility, she addressed an audience of 2,500 people at a United Nations Day.
The widow of President Franklin D. Roosevelt and former United States delegate to the United Nations, Mrs. Roosevelt was on a nationwide speaking tour to stimulate interest in the UN and emphasize its accomplishments and objectives. Her Eau Claire lecture was the only address she made in Wisconsin during the tour.
W.R. Davies was then vice president of the Wisconsin chapter of the American Association for the United Nations, and he was elected state president of the organization the following year. He was instrumental in organizing an Eau Claire chapter.
In creating the photo panel, student graphic designer and photographer Maria Nocenti worked from an image in the Special Collections and Archives area of McIntyre Library.
It is one of 45 panels she created for a display of community history in The Dulany Inn. A designer and photographer for the University Centers for four years (2004–2008), Nocenti received a bachelor of fine arts degree in graphic design from UW-Eau Claire in 2007.