You can be admitted to the Honors program either before or after your first semester at UWEC — one pathway to admission is by automatic invitation, and other pathways are more of a holistic review.
The University Honors Program offers four pathways to admission:
1. Fall semester automatic invitations (incoming first-year students)
Many first-semester students are invited to join Honors based on scores achieved on the ACT or SAT and their academic standing in high school. You’ll be invited to join Honors if you have:
- A 28 or higher ACT composite score (SAT 1310 +) and high school class rank in the top 5%*
- A 29 or higher ACT composite score (SAT 1350 +) and high school class rank in the top 10%*
- A 30 or higher ACT composite score (SAT 1390 +) and high school class rank in the top 15%*
*3.95 GPA if class rank is not available
2. Fall semester holistic invitations (incoming first-year students)
Many first-semester students are considered for Honors admission in our award-winning holistic review process. We look carefully at all students who meet the criteria listed below. Since 2010, between 20 and 42 percent of students invited to join the Honors Program at UWEC have been admitted holistically. Criteria for holistic consideration include the following benchmarks:
- A 26 or higher ACT composite score (SAT 1240), or
- High school class rank in the top 10%*
*3.75 GPA if class rank is not available
3. Spring semester automatic invitations (first-year students with 14+ credits at UWEC)
Students who were not invited to join Honors during their first semester at UWEC will receive an invitation to join the program for Spring semester if the following benchmarks are met:
- An earned 3.66 GPA or better on at least 14 academic credits in your first UWEC semester
- A 26 or higher ACT composite score (1190+ SAT or 1260+ new SAT score)
4. Petition for Honors admission (2nd or 3rd semester students and transfer students)
First-year students and transfer students who are highly motivated to do Honors work may petition for admission to Honors. Petitions for Honors Admission are reviewed during two six-week periods annually: between August 1 and September 15 and between December 15 and February 1. For transfer students, credits that are earned from another university’s Honors program (at accredited institutions) will count toward meeting UWEC’s Honors Program requirements.
The Honors orientation for incoming freshmen was where I met folks who would become some of my closest friends, in addition to other students who I had something in common with. I liked always having a friendly place like the Honors office to go to when I needed a place to study, or someone to talk to.