You can be admitted to the Honors program either before or after your first semester at UWEC — one pathway to admission is by automatic invitation, and other pathways are more of a holistic review.
The University Honors Program offers four pathways to admission:
1. Fall semester automatic invitations (incoming first-year students)
Many first-semester students are invited to join Honors based on scores achieved on the ACT or SAT and their academic standing in high school. You’ll be invited to join Honors if you have:
- A 28 or higher ACT composite score (SAT 1310+) and high school class rank in the top 5%*
- A 29 or higher ACT composite score (SAT 1350+) and high school class rank in the top 10%*
- A 30 or higher ACT composite score (SAT 1390+) and high school class rank in the top 15%*
*3.95 GPA if class rank is not available
2. Fall semester holistic invitations (incoming first-year students)
Many first-semester students are considered for Honors admission in our award-winning holistic review process. We look carefully at all students who meet the criteria listed below. Since 2010, between 20 and 42 percent of students invited to join the Honors Program at UWEC have been admitted holistically. Incoming first-year students (fall semester only) who meet at least one of the following criteria may be considered for Honors admission via the holistic review process:
- A 26 or higher ACT composite score (SAT 1240+)
- 3.85 GPA or better
- High school class rank in the top 10%*
- Rank 1-5 in high school class
3. Spring semester automatic invitations (first-year students with 14+ credits at UWEC)
Students who were not invited to join Honors during their first semester at UWEC will receive an invitation to join the program for Spring semester if the following benchmarks are met:
- An earned 3.66 GPA or better on at least 14 academic credits in your first UWEC semester
- A 26 or higher ACT composite score (1240+ SAT score)
4. Petition for Honors admission (2nd or 3rd semester students and transfer students)
First-year students and transfer students who are highly motivated to do Honors work may petition for admission to Honors. Petitions for Honors Admission are reviewed during three periods annually: June 1 - August 1 and March 1 - April 15 for admission for fall semester and between December 1 and January 1 for spring semester admission.
5. Transfer students from other Honors Program/Colleges
For students who transfer in good standing from an university’s Honors program or college at accredited institutions will be welcome to continue their Honors education at UWEC and any Honors credits earned will count toward UWEC’s Honors Program requirements.
The Honors orientation for incoming freshmen was where I met folks who would become some of my closest friends, in addition to other students who I had something in common with. I liked always having a friendly place like the Honors office to go to when I needed a place to study or someone to talk to.
Do I need test scores to be admitted to University Honors?
There are two ways to be admitted to University Honors as a new incoming first-year student, one is automaticcally based on test scores and your rank in class or high school GPA. For this you would need test scores (ACT or SAT) submitted. There is also a holistic admissions process where applications, including your application essays and your scholarship essays (to apply for scholarships go to Gold for Blugolds), are reviewed for those who have high academic potential but fall below the thresholds to meet the criteria for automatic admission. For holistic admission you would not need a test score, but it would be taken into account if submitted.
For consideration Spring semester, an ACT score is needed for automatic invitation. If interested, and you do not have a ACT or SAT score submitted to UWEC, you may petition for admission to the program.
What if I retake the ACT/SAT and am now eligible?
Your test scores are not automatically updated for the purpose of Honors admission. If your ACT/SAT score is reported after you have been accepted to UWEC, you will need to inform us that you feel you now qualify for automatic admission to Honors.