“We’re here to open doors to careers in health care. We help students explore health career options and guide them along the path to a successful career in the health sciences." - Dr. Julie Anderson, Director, UW-Eau Claire Health Careers Center.
Pre-Professional health science programs prepare students for entry into professional degree programs through organized academic planning and preparation. UW-Eau Claire's rigorous and respected academics offer strong training and preparation for entry into the health professions. In addition there are multiple campus organizations and local opportunities for students interested in pursuing a health professional career.
Pre-Professional Health Sciences programs offered at UW-Eau Claire include:
- Pre-Occupational Therapy
- Pre-Physical Therapy
- Pre-Physician Assistant
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine
The Pre-Professional Health Sciences program at UW-Eau Claire helps you discover what your true passion is in your life and what career in the health care field would best fit that. The great advising, faculty, challenging courses and the Pre-Professional Health Club truly prepare students to be highly competitive applicants for grad schools.
Contact InfoHealth Careers Center
Schofield Hall 30
105 Garfield Avenue
Prepared for success
UW-Eau Claire offers a variety of academic majors that provide excellent preparation for applying to professional programs. Pre-health students are strongly encouraged to study what they love and discover their “power of AND." Students should major where their passions lie and are encouraged to seek a well-rounded college experience. Many health professional schools require a number of science courses and also expect good communication skills and significant health-related and service experiences. Students at UW-Eau Claire benefit from four major medical facilities in the region that provide the area with not only state-of-the-art quality health care, but also volunteer, shadowing, and job opportunities.
The university’s success rate at preparing students who gain admission to professional schools is outstanding. Below are just a few examples:
- Pre-Chiropractic: Northwestern Health Sciences University, Palmer College of Chiropractic, Life University
- Pre-Dentistry: Marquette University, University of Minnesota, Midwestern University
- Pre-Medicine: University of Wisconsin-Madison, Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Minnesota, University of Iowa, St. Louis University, Wayne State University, Drexel University, University of Washington, Meharry Medical College, University of Virginia, Des Moines University, Kansas City University, A.T. Still University, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Pre-Occupational Therapy: University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Carroll University
- Pre-Optometry: Illinois College of Optometry, Southern College of Optometry
- Pre-Pharmacy: University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Minnesota, Concordia University, Midwestern University, Ohio State University
- Pre-Physical Therapy: University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, Concordia University
- Pre-Physician Assistant: University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, Marquette University, Carroll University, Augsburg College, St. Catherine University, Des Moines University
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine: University of Wisconsin-Madison, University of Minnesota, Iowa State University, Merdoch University (Australia)
Why UW-Eau Claire
UW-Eau Claire is one of only a few schools of its size with a career center dedicated to supporting pre-health students. The William J. and Marian A. Klish Health Careers Center offers one-on-one advising, opportunities to meet with professional school admissions representatives, connections to health-related clinical, research and volunteer opportunities, and workshops designed to build effective tools for career development and competitive applications.
Get Involved / Student Orgs
Resources available through the Health Careers Center help students connect with the many opportunities on campus, in the community and around the world. UW-Eau Claire supports and strongly encourages students engaging in collaborative research with faculty scholars and incorporating research into the undergraduate experience. Additionally, UW-Eau Claire has formed strong partnerships with clinics in the community to provide students with the opportunity to take part in clinical experiences and observations. There are also a number of very active student organizations to join, including the Pre-Professional Health Club, Pre-Chiropractic Club, Pre-Physical Therapy/Occupation Therapy Club, and Pre-Veterinary Club. These organizations engage in volunteer work and social events and tour graduate programs in the region.
First-Year Suggested Curriculum
- Foundations of Biology I and II
- General Chemistry or Chemical Principles
- General education courses
- General Chemistry or Quantitative Analysis